xii.

twelve ice cream

The beach was the perfect place to go

At first, I planned to go and walk around the beach shops, but she had insisted we go feel the sand and the ocean water. Not being able to deny her, I grudgingly obliged, laughing when she grabbed my hand and ran, with me on her tail, straight to the water.

I had to admire - even with her dress, her stunning dress that was more of a ball gown, she still ran towards the waves like she didn't care. Like she truly, honestly, didn't care. And it was one of the many things I admired about her.

This Alaska was different than the one I knew all those years ago. This Alaska seemed happier now, I'd noticed. After that one competition back when we were in school, she suddenly disappeared for three years. Until I saw her auditioning for a part as the main role in a movie.

Snapping back to reality, the first thing I heard was Alaska's laugh. God, was it the best thing I'd ever heard. I smiled at her as she lifted up her dress (which was pointless; the bottom was already wet and covered in sand) and dipped her feet in the water.

"C'mon, take your shoes off," she called to me. I stood a ways back, not risking the ocean waves ruining my very expensive and favorite dress shoes.

"I'll stay back here," I answered.

I saw her lips turn into a pout. "You're so boring, Rowen Hendrix."

"Boring? That's not what most people would say."

"Yeah? Then get over here. I'm sure those shoes cost less than my dress."

"Doubt it."

"Let's compare receipts," she challenged.

I rolled my eyes, sliding my shoes and suit jacket off. I placed them somewhere dry, along with my socks, and rolled up my pant legs. The things I do for her.

I walked over to her, glaring. She just gave me a big grin, then motioned for me to step in the water. With a sigh, I stepped into the path of the oceans waves.

"Get closer, idiot," she muttered, pulling me towards her.

"Alaska, unlike you, I don't want to ruin my clothes."

She gave me a blank look. "Then you don't know how to have fun."

"I'm having plenty of fun - with my dry clothes."

I knew, as soon as I saw the evil glint in her eyes, that I was in deep shit.

But it was too late.

She pushed me - pushed me - into the ocean. I was completely at the mercy of the waves, and though it wasn't very deep this close to the shore, I was soaking wet. My whole body, including my head, went under.