Chapter One: Expedited Orders

"Lieutenant Kazansky," Commander Burke, leader for the VFA-115 Eagles, spoke sternly, looking at a file in front of him on his desk, sighing heavily as he tapped his pen on his desk.  "We hate to see you go, but the Navy requires you to go someplace else." He flipped through the papers which was the only sound in the stateroom.  The ship rocked a bit as they floated around off the coast of Sasebo, Japan preparing for a trek to the Middle East.  "You have quite an impressive record, Echo.  Graduating top of your class at the Academy, graduating top of your class at flight school, and graduating Top Gun at the top of your class.  Everything in your package is distinguished.  We haven't seen someone like this since your father, Admiral Kazansky."

  "Thank you, sir, but... I'm not up for orders anytime soon," the tall girl stood in front of Commander Burke's desk, looking down at her senior, confused.  He stopped flipping through her papers and looked up at her, intertwining his fingers and resting them on his stomach as he leaned back in his office chair.

  "You are correct about the fact that your orders are early, but you're being expedited to your next duty station.  It's a special detachment for the next two months, so you're ultimately going to your next ship, specifically the USS Abraham Lincoln," Commander Burke sighed again, looking.  Lieutenant Kazansky shot her gaze down to sir and her brow furrowed.

  "Another ship? Sir, I'm scheduled to go to shore duty," she spoke up.  Commander Burke stared at the papers on his desk and then up at the Lieutenant.

  "Your father came in to save you.  He put in your promotion package a whole year early.  However, he is requiring you to go to a ship and to this special detachment.  Once you finish that and get promoted, you get your shore duty, according to the letter I have from him, signed and official."

  Lieutenant Kazansky sighed and nodded, laughing to herself slightly and rubbing her forehead.

  "Alright then.  Where is the Lincoln based out of?" She put her hands on her hips, resting them in that position.  Commander Burke smacked his lips and inhaled deeply.

  "San Diego.  Fightertown, USA.  Your ride leaves tonight at 1900.  A Poseidon from Hawaii is on its way to come get you as we speak,"  He looked up at his Lieutenant.  "If you have any questions, your time to ask is now. Though, I suppose you can contact your father about any and all information, and his answers won't get diluted through a middle man."  Lieutenant Kazansky shook her head as her thoughts ran rampant in her mind which centered around the word "why?"

  "No, sir," she sounded exasperated. "I suppose I should go pack."

  "I suppose you should," Commander Burke replied, standing up from his chair holding out his hand to shake hers.  "It's been an honor, Echo." Lieutenant Kazansky nodded and turned on her heel to leave after shaking his hand, heading straight for her bunk room.

  It was coming into 1400, and Lieutenant Kazansky stood in the middle of her room, staring at her packed sea bag and luggage, standing in her dress uniform. The whites were crisp and clean, pressed on every crease with her name tag and medals backed to create a sharper image.  Her epaulettes showed signs of age with some small pieces of string popping up.   She inhaled deeply and walked over to her desk to make a phone call on the phone in her room.  She dialed out and pressed the numbers in with some force, only slightly angry these orders came in when they did.  Moving anywhere in the Navy was a hassle.  The phone rang, and rang, before a familiar voice picked up on the other side.

  "This is the Kazansky household." The voice on the other side spoke up. The Lieutenant smiled at the familiar voice, comforted as if she was a child once again.