ROOSTER-Chapter Thirteen: Together and Bonded

Luck bonded Sammy and Bradley's fate, letting them have sea duty on the Lincoln together before having shore duty in San Diego.  They spent what time they could together, careful to have time apart from each other, as most relationships require. 

  The two of them shared an apartment, as Sammy had fully moved out of her childhood home.  She sat on the couch reading the official paperwork from the mission, waiting for Bradley to get home from hanging out with the boys.  It had been two years since they had gone on it, with no repercussions from wrecking two perfectly decent F/A-18s and a slew of disobeyed orders.

  The doorknob rattled and Rooster walked in, smiling and holding a bunch of flowers for Sammy.  She set the papers down, leaving open the page that had the two of them's official Navy portraits up with their naval biography underneath the photos.

  "Sorry, I'm late, baby girl," he replied, giving Sammy a kiss on the cheek and handing her the flowers.

  "You're not late.  You're precisely on time," she joked.  Bradley took his shoes off and tossed his keys over to the bowl they had resting on an entryway table.

  "Can I talk to you about something rather serious?" Rooster asked, walking towards Sammy who was in the kitchen cutting the stems off of the flowers and placing them meticulously into a vase.

  "Of course.  What's in your mind?" She asked, not looking up.  Rooster walking in and hugged her from behind, placing his chin on her shoulder, watching her.

  "You wanted to do a career, right?" He asked.  Sammy affirmed with a grunt.  "What if I got out?  We could get married then with no repercussions.  If we started a family, they would have their dad at home," Rooster whispered.  Sammy chuckled and then turned around to face Bradley once she realized he was serious.

  "You dream big, kid.  I can't ask you to take away your love of flying," Sammy piped up.  Rooster gave her a kiss and then one on her forehead.

  "There's a flight school who asked me to teach for them," he answered.  Sammy tilted her head and thought for a second.

  "But who is going to be my wingman?" She asked.  Rooster smiled slyly.

  "I heard a certain Natasha Trace made rank and is on her way back here," he whispered.  Sammy pushed him back.

  "Shut up! What?" She exclaimed.  "Hold on." She pulled out her phone and immediately called Phoenix up, putting her and Rooster's conversation on hold. Bradley grinned as he watched her impatiently wait for her friend to answer on the other side.

  "Hi Sam," she said on the other side of the phone when she picked up.

  "You're coming to San Diego?" Sammy asked loudly.  Rooster chuckled as she paced around the kitchen in shock.  "When were you going to tell me?"

  "Bradshaw told you, didn't he," Phoenix replied, chuckling.

  "Yeah bro, do I have to get all my information about my best friend from my boyfriend now?" Sammy replied, laughing.

  "Only if you keep this up.  Say, when are you up for Commander?" Phoenix asked.  Sammy stared at Bradley who was standing there, finishing up cutting the stems off the flowers for her.

  "That depends on my next command.  Why?" Sammy wandered up to the fridge and opened it, grabbing a water bottle from it.

  "Wanna place bets on who is going to make it first?"

  "Is it another Bud on the line?"

  "You know it," Phoenix replied.  Sammy knew she had a shit-eating grin plastered on her face.  "I'll see you in a couple of months, Sam."