HANGMAN-Chapter Twelve: Lost and Found

"Lieutenant Commander, you turn that jet around now!" Cyclone yelled into the radio, watching the radar show Sammy's jet turn right around. "That jet is worth $65 million. Captain Mitchell is dead."

"Sir, I saw a parachute," she yelled into the radio. "The least I can do is to get coordinates of the crash site."

"He is gone! He is dead, Lieutenant Commander. You have ten seconds to turn that plane around before I get you courtmartialed," Cyclone yelled. Sammy found the plane crash site and then enemy aircraft heading for something.

"I think I see something, sir. The crash site is five miles due west of the destroyed airfield," Sam replied before focusing in on the something that was running. "It's Maverick, sir!"

"We'll send out a search and rescue helicopter. Now get back to the carrier," Cyclone ordered. Sam's brow furrowed at the helicopter as it opened fire. That was war. Sam launched guns at it, taking it out enough that it crashed straight into the ground in a big ball of fire.

"I'm on my way, sir," Sam replied, watching Maverick look up at her. They made quick eye contact before she heading out. "I'm sorry, sir." She whispered to Maverick, even though she knew he couldn't hear her.

"Repeat last call, Dagger Two," the controller responded. Sam looked back at flying and sighed.

"There was no call. Last call, heading back to the carrier," she replied, flying before looking at her radar, watching something approach her. "I've got something on my tail."

"What?" Cyclone asked on the radio.

"I have something on my tail," Sam said, going above the tree line to look behind her. "Smoke in the air! Smoke in the air!" Sam yelled before turning around. Though, it was too late.

Sam laid on the ground, surrounded by the jet pieces on fire. The smell of smoke woke her up, face partially frozen from the snow and ice, and pain swept in quickly. She was sure she broke something, she just didn't know what. She closed her eyes quickly and shut them tight for a quick second before opening them back up to see Maverick running at her.

"Sammy!" He yelled, running as fast as he could. Sam sighed in relief and tried to sit up, feeling pain shoot in her side. Maverick pushed her back down gently. "No, no. You were shot down. You need to make sure you're okay before getting up."

"I asked for a rescue helicopter for you," she coughed out. Maverick shook his head and pushed the fallen strands from her bun out of her face.

"You're okay, kid. You're okay," he whispered. "But why the hell did you come back for me?"

"My dad told me he would have never left you behind," she said smiling. Maverick laughed and a tear fell from his eye before hugging Sam on the ground.

"Thank you, Ice," he whispered. Sam knew he wasn't addressing her, but actually trying to speak to her dad. Sam held him back, before she wiggled her toes and fingers before moving her knees and her elbow. One arm didn't move.

"Mav, I think I broke my arm," she replied, trying to sit up, not using the one arm. "And I think I broke some ribs."

"You should be thankful that's all you broke," he said, helping her off the ground. "We need to find shelter or a way out of here."

Sam looked down at her watch, flipping her tracker on. "They should be able to find us now." Maverick looked at her unharmed watch and everything before patting her good shoulder and walking her towards the airfield.

"We need to see if there's a plane or something we can use to get us out of this god forsaken place," Mav told her. Sam nodded and followed next to him, breathing shallow before collapsing on the ground, still conscious. Mav grabbed her to the best of his ability and knelt down next to her.