HANGMAN-Chapter Eleven: Underway

Sam leaned against the bulkhead of the pre-flight ops room where the rest of them sat or stood around. They had recently deployed on the USS Abraham Lincoln for the mission. Every single rider was now a backup and every double seater sucked up to Sam to be apart of the mission. Sam kept brushing them off, not wanting to be the reason someone died. She wanted Phoenix and Bob to be her double seater, but feared that if they both died, no one would forgive her. Sam sure wouldn't forgive herself. That was her best friend, and she didn't dare, no matter how much Phoenix and Bob wanted to be on this mission.
Sam sported her gold leaves, her new rank of Lieutenant Commander, once on the ship. In a rushed ranking ceremony, she was pinned by Cyclone in honor of her father. But as Lieutenant Commander, the lot of Lieutenants now could no longer have fun like they used to. Hell, even Hangman couldn't do his teasing and public displays of affection without getting stared at or talked to.
"Lieutenant Commander," someone piped up. Sam looked at them with half-lidded eyes. "How long until we launch?"
"We have a carrier strike group with us. We can't go as fast as these carriers can go. So it could be tomorrow, three days, who knows," Sam replied, kicking a rock that made it into the room around.
"Have you chosen your double seater yet?" The voice asked again. Sam shook her head.
"I haven't," she said, thinking about how whoever she chose, if they died, she wouldn't be able to fly again. "I have a couple of groups in mind, but that's it." She answered, looking up at the door as it opened up. Cyclone, Warlock, and Maverick walked in. Sam called everyone to attention before being told to be at ease. Cyclone stood at the front, hands gripping the side of the podium.
"We have our two single riders picked out. Team Leader is Captain Mitchell. Dagger Two is Lieutenant Commander Kazansky. They are in charge of picking their double seaters, but they must run it by us first, which we'll do right now," Cyclone piped up. Sam looked at Cyclone concerned and then at Maverick. None of them budged, but Sam couldn't pick.
"Captain Mitchell, who is your double seater?" Cyclone asked. He looked at Sam and gestured to her.
"Ladies first," he said. Sam groaned on the inside and then looked to everyone.
"Phoenix and Bob," she said quickly, knowing she had to pick someone. Phoenix smiled and nodded while Bob held up a fist, excited. "I choose Lieutenants Trace and Floyd." Sam reiterated. Cyclone nodded.
"Captain," he looked at Maverick. He picked Payback and Fanboy rather quickly. "Great, the rest of you are on standby. You will be left behind for any air-to-air combat that may happen. You will be deployed only as an emergency."
"We fly tomorrow. 0900. Be ready for your pre-flight briefing tomorrow at 0600," Warlock announced.

The lot of them went on with their days like you do on a carrier when your job is literally "fly in, fly out." Sam sat at her desk, writing and drawing in a notebook she brought. She felt like a kid again, not paying attention in classes their classes and doodling on the corner of their homework. A knock sounded on her stateroom door, catching her off guard. She looked over and walked over there slowly before answering it.
"Can I come in?" Hangman stood there, looking around. Sam sighed and moved to the side.
"You're not supposed to be in here, Seresin," Sam piped up. He stood around with his hands on his hips.
"Promise me you'll come home tomorrow," he whispered. Sam squinted and shut the door, walking over to him.
"Are you afraid I'm not going to come tomorrow?" She whispered back. He looked at her and grabbed her hands gently.
"I'm so scared I'm going to lose you, Sam." Sam moved a hand of hers, letting go of his, and caressed his cheek gently, letting it sit there.
"I'm not going to die. Besides, I've got one of the best pilots to be my backup to come save me," she smiled softly. Hangman chuckled and then looked at her gently, eyes soft with adoration.
"I'll come get you if you're injured," he spoke softly. "I'll come get you if you call for help." He kissed her forehead, then her nose.
"Why are you so mushy?" Sam chuckled a bit.
"What? Can I not cherish the love of my life and tell her how much she means to me and tell her how I'm going to kick anyone's ass that threatens her?" He joked around. Sam shook her head and rolled her eyes.
"You're acting like I don't know what I'm doing," she said, laughing a bit.
"I'm scared to lose you? How many times do I have to tell you," he replied. Sam giggled and kissed him.
"You should go before someone finds you here," Sam said, parting from Seresin. He nodded and then he stole one more kiss before exiting the room quickly. Sam stood there and bit her lip before going back to doodling in her notebook, waiting patiently for dinner.