BOB-Chapter Fourteen: Anything for You

Sam went to work every morning for thirty minutes to check in with the TAD group in charge of medically disabled sailors and officers. Sam checked in with Bob by her side, who was strictly there to ensure Sam didn't collapse at any moment. And he did his job very well. Or at least, Sam thought so. The two kept it professional at the check ins, after heeding the warning of Phoenix, only to immediately get back to their car and drive off to go get brunch or go to either of their's places to do what they did best. But Bob refused to leave her side. He was in the bathroom as she showered, but was respectful during other bathroom times.  Anywhere Sam was in the house or apartment, Bob was right there next to her.  When she had to run out to the stores or even just going out for a walk, Bob was right there next to her.  He always insisted on driving, scared that Sam wouldn't be able to, and she quite enjoyed it.

But all that ended when the carrier pulled in weeks later. The two of them reported back to the ship the moment it pulled in, and they were ushered to an office where Cyclone, Warlock, and Maverick stood. Bob walked her around the ship and stood next to her in the office.
"Lieutenants Kazansky and Floyd," Cyclone started. "Welcome back."
"Thank you, sir," the two replied in unison.
"I am pleased that the mission went on as planned. And I am even more pleased to see you, Kazansky, are upright and alive."
"It's good to be alive, sir," Sam piped up. Cyclone sighed.
"I have two things we need to discuss, Lieutenant Kazansky. Lieutenant Floyd, you are dismissed. Report time back in the hangar tomorrow morning is at 0800," Cyclone ordered. Bob nodded, gave a quick side glance to Sam, and then headed out of the office slowly. Sam was set to at ease.
"First thing's first," Cyclone piped up. "Your promotion. You are to be awarded Lieutenant Commander as of about a month ago. So we need to schedule that. Second thing," he said, looking at Warlock and Maverick. The two of them knew nothing about what was going to come out of Air Boss's mouth. "Why did you pick Lieutenant Floyd to be your escort?"
"Sir?" Sam asked confused.
"Doc said you said his name without missing a beat and rather loud," Cyclone asked. "I was just wondering."
"We are nothing but good friends, sir," Sam responded, feeling her gut turn in on itself.
"Hmm, alright then," Cyclone said, knowing damn well she was lying. Maverick even had some idea that there was something between her and Bob. "Where do you want your pinning ceremony? It'll be tomorrow."
"Sir?"
"Answer the question, Kazansky."
"The hangar bay is fine, sir."
"The hangar bay it is. Go get your pins today and show up in your khakis tomorrow. Dismissed."

Sam showed up in her khakis, greeting everyone else who was in their flight suit. She walked in with her cover in hand and her pins in hand.
"Did you miss the memo?" Hangman asked, noting her khakis.
"Did you?" She asked back, all snarky.
"She's getting pinned today, dipshit," Phoenix interjected. "Were you asleep during that part of quarters a couple days ago?"
"You're so mean," Hangman said sarcastically.
The group of them shot to attention as the two admirals and Maverick walked in. Cyclone stood in the front and brought Sam up front. She handed over her pins and looked at her.
"Who do you want to pin you?" He asked.
"I'll have Captain Mitchell," Sam said.
"No, who do you want?" Cyclone asked. Sam's brow furrowed.
"Captain Mitchell," she said.
"Not Lieutenant Floyd?" Cyclone asked. Sam's brow furrowed.
"Sir," Sam interjected, feeling disrespected in some way. "I want Captain Mitchell."

Sam became Lieutenant Commander moments later before being pulled aside by her uncle. The other aviators were given their evaluations, all of them getting distinguished marks and letters. Sam was happy for them, but when Maverick pulled her farther and farther away, she knew something was up.
"Uncle Pete, what's going on?" Sam asked.
"The Navy is splitting you and Lieutenant Floyd up," he sighed. Sam stared confused.
"What are you talking about?"
"Don't play dumb, Sam. Cyclone saw the footage of you two making out in the hallways back during training. He watched how you two acted around each other. He knows," Maverick said. "Bob had orders to the Lincoln. He requested sea duty, but Cyclone just denied him. He's going back to Lemoore."
"Then send me there," Sam ordered.
"What?" Maverick asked confused.
"Send me to Lemoore," Sam repeated.
"I can't just send you to shore duty when you have sea duty.  The Navy doesn't work that way," Maverick sighed. "If I could, I would though. There are multiple VFAs there I could put you into."
"What's the deployment schedule of the Lincoln?" Sam asked. Maverick thought for a minute.
"I think she's in port for a year before going in for refueling," Maverick drifted off. "Wait a minute."
"The Navy just released all fighters are going to Lemoore or Fallon. So do me a favor, Uncle Pete?" Sam gave him puppy eyes.
"See if I can send your VFA to Lemoore?"
"Precisely," Sam grinned. Maverick rolled his eyes and sighed.
"You're a handful, kid."
"Nah, I'm just Iceman's kid," Sam gave a cheeky smile. Maverick rolled his eyes and laughed.