PHOENIX-(MINOR SEXUAL CONTENT WARNING) Chapter Six: My Type by Saint Motel

Sam showed up the work the next day feeling on top of everything.  Hangman stood around talking to a couple others, glaring at Sam and sporting a giant bruise on his face.  Sam looked at him with an unreadable face before taking her seat.  Phoenix plopped herself next to Sammy in her row and smiled big.
  "So.  What are we going to do today?" Phoenix asked.
  "Keep my head high, tell them my story, and stay true to myself for the sake of everything," Sammy replied.  Phoenix tapped her friend's leg and smiled.
  "Atta girl."

  Once Maverick entered the room, he told Sammy to follow him to the office.  She did so, not saying a word.  She was fully expecting the two admirals to be sitting in there, but the office was empty.  Maverick closed the door and told Sam to have a seat.  He sat himself on the desk and looked at Sam in silence.
  "Are you going to say anything?" Sam piped up. Maverick shook his head.
  "No.  I'm fact, I'm only doing this per your father's orders.  He said, and I quote, "just take her in the office for ten minutes and act like she's getting disciplined." And so that is what I am doing," Maverick said with a smile.  Sam stared confused.
  "So, I'm not kicked from the program?"
  "No.  Your father said that he would deal with the repercussions.  Perks of having Ice as your dad," Maverick replied.  He brought his arm up to read his watch.  "We have about five more minutes.  Anything you want to talk about?"  There we're a million things running through Sammy's head at that moment, but she just shook her head no.  Maverick nodded and looked down.  "I have a question for you."
  "And that is?" Sam asked.
  "What's between you and Lieutenant Trace?" Maverick squinted his eyes quizzically.
  "Nothing? Why?" Sam replied.  Maverick grinned a bit and laughed to himself for a quick second.
  "The way you two look at each other.  I've seen your dad look at your mother that way," Maverick remarked.  "Sorry, that was... inappropriate."
  "I'll say," Sam chuckled.  "But no, Uncle Pete, there's nothing between us." Maverick put his hands up defensively and then read his watch.
"That marks ten minutes. Now, walk in there looking a little irritated so it looks like I did my job," Maverick patted Sam's shoulder as the two stood up and headed out. "I'm going to walk in after you by three minutes so it's like I did paperwork. It'll also give you a proper amount of time to not have to answer questions."
"Did you spend all night thinking about this?" Sam laughed.
"Your dad, actually," Maverick remarked. "Now, go into the classroom like I told you."

  The next couple of days passed by, failed attempt after failed attempt of doing the course.  Sam was exhausted by the third day, but when she and Phoenix entered the classroom together, finding Maverick up front, they checked the time and then walked up to their seats.  Everyone sat down quickly as they walked in too.
  "Good morning, Aviators," Maverick piped up.  "We're going to the beach today."  Sam looked at Phoenix and then thought about it, shrugging it off because anything beat being on base and in a classroom.

The lot of them made it off base and to the beach before morning colors hit, which might have been slightly illegal, but that's okay.
Sam stood by her car, taking off her track pants, revealing spandex exercise shorts underneath that went down halfway her thigh. She had a white shirt on a a matching sports bra to her shorts on underneath. She hobbled over to the sand, avoiding rocks and asphalt chunks, and met up with Phoenix, who stared with a full red face. Sam saw and immediately noticed Phoenix in exercise shorts and a sports bra.
"Lord have mercy on me," Sam whispered to herself.

Hondo would blow the whistle at the start of each match. Phoenix and Sam went on opposite teams, and unbeknownst to them, it was for the same reason. Sam stared at Phoenix from across the way, not realizing that they had the same plan: tackle the other.
The whistle sounded and Sam went flying towards Phoenix and bear hugged her to the ground. They both landed with a thud and started laughing. The two laid in the sand for a split second laughing before staring at each other, instantly feeling that pit in the stomach.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to tackle you that hard," Sam cut off the silence. Natasha smiled and stood up, helping her friend off the ground.
"I'll get you next time. Don't worry," Phoenix said, patting Sam's shoulder.
The whistle sounded again and Sam intercepted the ball from Rooster, who was on Phoenix's team. He threw his hands up at Sam, who began to run like crazy through enemy lines. She pushed Rooster over as he ran after her while Phoenix went full force towards Sam. Sam started laughing and made it to the goal before Phoenix straight up picked her up and body slammed her into the sand. The thud was quieter than it should have been and Sam laid on the sand laughing and moaning in pain.
"What was that for?" Sam whined. Phoenix knelt down by her friend.
"That's what you get for forcing me into the sand." Phoenix laughed and stood up.  Sam got up by herself and jogged up to her friend.
  "If you push me down again, I swear to god," Sam laughed and ran to her team.