BOB-Chapter Eight: Please Not Now

When Sam arrived home with Bob right behind her, she was told the bad news that her father refused to wake up and that his death was imminent.  Sam wanted to see him, but it would be too late anyway, and she didn't dare try to drive her car during this time.  She sat on her couch and sobbed, Bob sitting right next to her.  He held her and stayed silent, trying to comfort her.  But her sobs became worse and worse.
  "I can't lose him.  Not now.  Please not now.  Not right before this mission," Sam cried out.  Bob held her and ushered her to the backyard, sitting her down in one told the rattan chairs.  Her mother stayed in the dining room area, staying on the phone with both the doctors and the officials, trying not to tremble.  The Chaplain stuck with her mother, being the one to break the news from the hospital.
  "Sammy," Bob whispered to her as she tried to breathe in and out as calmly as possible.  "I'm going to be here every step of the way."
  "I just haven't had to brace the Navy without him.  He's been there every step of the way.  And he's my dad.  It hurts just knowing that he's leaving this world at any moment," Sam started sobbing again.  Bob stood her up and sat down in her spot, pulling her onto his lap.  He held her as she curled up, burying her head into the crook of her neck.  He hushed her gently, rubbing her back.
  "I know it's not the same, but I lost my grandparents within a week of each other.  They basically raised me," Bob whispered.  "My grandpa served in Vietnam, and he's the only one who served.  He was my rock up until I graduated  school.  It hurt me a ton when he passed on.  So I can relate in some way."
  Sam had calmed down, still feeling a knife in her heart, but felt safe as Bob held her.  He gave her a kiss on her forehead, which lessened the pain she was feeling.  He gave some pecks on her temple, holding her tightly as she fell asleep.

  Sam woke up what felt like minutes later, but the sky grew dark.  The crickets made their presence known as the starry sky shined brightly.   She looked at Bob, who didn't dare move or fall asleep, kissed her on her temple once more.
  "Hey, Sam," he whispered, brushing her hair out of the way.  She knew exactly where she was and started crying softly.
  "He's gone, isn't he?" She whispered, and Bob nodded.
  "Your mother came out about five minutes after you started snoring with the news," Bob said softly, knowing that Sam would beat herself up over that.  And she did.  She sobbed again and got up, walking into the grass yard.  She felt numb, but felt arms around her waist hold her close.  Sam fell right to the ground, where Bob held onto her.  He shifted himself around to her front and looked at her head on.
  "I wish I never woke up from that nap," Sam whispered, looking mindlessly out in front of her. Bob kissed her forehead and hugged her tight.
  "Well, I'm glad you did.  And so does your mom.  And your brothers," Bob piped up.  "You're strong, Sam.  But this is something you don't have to handle by yourself."
  "Is my mom still inside?" Sam asked, looking up at Bob with life coming back slowly.  Bob nodded and helped her up, walking her inside the house.  Her mother sat on the couch with her brothers, who got up and hugged Sam tightly.  Maverick came out of the kitchen and made eye contact with Sam and Bob.  Sam left her family and ran to her uncle, hugging him tight.  He reciprocated it.  Out of everyone in that house, he had known Ice for the longest amount of time. They held onto each other when he whispered to her.
"I'm so sorry, Sammy."

Sam sat on her bed with Bob, feeling more numb, but not caring anymore about anything. She looked at Bob and cuddled up to him without a word. He obliged, knowing she was in a world of hurt and could not properly process anything. He played with her hair, braiding it and giving her scalp massages. Sam sighed a bit after a while and sat up.
"We need to eat, Bob. We haven't eaten all day," she said. He adjusted himself.
"Anything for you," he replied to her. "What would you like?"
  "I don't really know.  But I know you need to eat," Sam spoke softly, trying to not beat herself up.  It was hard, but with Bob there, she knew it would be easier than if she was alone.
  The sliding glass door opened up, and Rooster came out, looking at her and Bob on the rattan chair. A quick face change he had showed him saying "I fucking knew it," but knew it wasn't the time for that.  He knelt in front of the two, focusing on Sam.
  "Hey," he piped up.  "Maverick just told me."  Sam looked over at her friend and smiled a bit.
  "Thanks, Bradley," she choked out, trying to stay strong for her own sake.  He looked at Bob and nodded a thanks towards him.  Bob flashed a quick smile and then slowly got Sam up off of him.
  "We need to go eat," Bob explained.  Rooster stood up and nodded.
  "That's actually why I came over.  I knew Sam probably didn't eat all day," Rooster said.  "But seeing as though you're here, I'll head on out." He smiled at Bob, patting his shoulder.  "If you need anything, Sam, you let me know."
  "I will.  Thanks again," Sam stared down at the ground and snuggled before turning on her heels to go back into the house. The two boys shared a glance before heading inside. Sam turned around and looked at both of the boys, sighing.
"What's up?" The two men said in unison. Sam stared blankly at the ground.
"I think I want to be alone with my mom," Sam replied. "I'll see you guys Monday."
"Sam, I don't think—," Rooster started to speak.
"I have a mission to do. Per my father. I'll be there on Monday." Rooster patted Bob's shoulder and then hugged Sam before leaving.
"See you Monday, Kazansky."
Bob stayed behind and walked up to Sam, going straight for a hug, squeezing tighter by the second. Sam gave Bob a small, almost not-touching kiss on the cheek.
"I'll see you Monday. But you need to call me if you need anything," he whispered to her before kissing her forehead.
"I'll call you. Don't worry."