HANGMAN-Chapter Eight: Love and Support

Sam went to work like normal, keeping her father's legacy close to heart every time she went up in her plane.  Her flying became more and more aggressive, and both Admirals noticed.  They confronted Maverick about it, who then sat down with Sammy in private.
  "You're flying dangerous, kid," he started, sitting on the desk, staring at Sammy who sat in a chair.  She sighed and rubbed her forehead.
  "The parameters of this mission require us to finish the course in two and a half minutes and cover a distance of about fifty miles.  That means we have to fly, on average, about 550 miles per hour.  That terrain, if flown safely, should be done at 300.  If we don't fly aggressively, the mission isn't going to be finished," Sammy retorted.  Maverick understood and nodded.
  "I don't know what to tell you," Maverick trailed off thinking to himself.  Sammy watched his face take a journey before he stood up wagging his finger.  "You know why your dad got his callsign?"
  "No, I don't know why," Sammy replied.
  "Because he flew ice cold.  His flying was crisp, clean, and dangerous," Maverick spoke up.  Sammy looked at Maverick with an expressionless face.
  "Do you know why my callsign is Echo?" Sammy asked.  Maverick shook his head.
  "Enlighten me," he replied.
  "Because I fly fast enough that all you get is an echo," she spoke up, keeping her straight face.  "If you want someone who can fly the high speeds for this mission and get home safely and get to the target within parameters, it's me," Sammy spoke up.  The two stayed in the office in silence before Maverick sighed.
  "I'll try and convince the two admirals to keep you on this mission," Maverick piped up.
  "It's what my dad would have wanted.  If he couldn't fly up there with you, he would have sent the next best thing," Sammy retorted.
  "You..." Maverick trailed off.
  "Me."

  Sam went home and found her mother sitting at the table on the phone and with a pen and a stack of papers.  She avoided her mother's frustration until she remembered the letter she got from her father, causing to turn right on her heels. 
  She walked into the kitchen and kissed the top of her mom's head, before looking in the fridge.  Her mother looked up and covered up the microphone of the phone, pulling it away.
  "Sorry, sweet pea, I didn't make dinner," she told her daughter before going back to the phone call.  Sam smiled a bit and went through the fridge again, pulling some things out and began to cook.  Her mother hung up after saying goodbye and set the phone down, running her hands through her hair.  Sammy looked over and worried about her mom.
  "Who was that?" She asked.  Mrs. Kazansky went through the papers and sighed again.
  "The funeral director for the Navy.  They want to bury your dad with full honors, only thing is that it has to be done this weekend.  I can't get all of the family members here in time," she trailed off before inhaling deeply and letting it out slow.  "What are you making?"  Mrs. Kazansky walked over to her daughter and peered into the skillet.
  "Some comfort food," she replied, careful not to burn down the house again.  Mrs. Kazansky pushed her daughter gently out of the way and started cooking for her.
  "Here, I don't need you to ruin this kitchen again," she joked.  Sam understood and gave her mom a quick hug before excusing herself to go change.

  In her room, she slid sweatpants on and a baggy shirt, looking at her phone.  No messages, no voicemails.  She felt a little empty, but knew that the pressure was officially setting in for everyone.
  Setting out to go back into the kitchen, her mom made up two plates for her and Sammy, setting both of them on the island.  She smiled at her daughter and did a "ta-da" as she presented them.  Sammy sat down and happily ate away at her meal next to her mom, who was smiling the entire time.
  Sam helped her mom out by doing the dishes as her mom sorted through paperwork after paperwork for the late-Admiral. 
  "Did you know your dad had a will?" Her mom piped up, reading over the official will.  Sam shrugged and walked over, wiping her hands dry.
  "No, I didn't.  But he's the type to have one," Sammy replied.  Mrs. Kazansky hummed, looking over everything before moving onto the next piece of paperwork.  Sam watched her Mom carefully before a knock was heard on the door.  Sammy put her hand on her mom's shoulder before getting up to grab the door.  She figured it was probably another Navy official coming over, like a Chaplain, to talk to them about loss and such.  But when she opened up one of the French doors, she found Hangman standing there.  Sammy's face soured.
  "I don't want to see you," she told him, and he instinctively put a hand on the door to keep it from closing.
  "I want to see you," he replied.  Sammy took her hand off the handle and crossed her arms, waiting.  "Aren't you going to let me in?" Hangman asked.  Sam shook her head in silence and stood there.
  "You're letting the A/C out," her mother yelled from the kitchen.  Sam looked at her and then groaned, stepping outside, and shutting the door.  She stood in front of Hangman who breathed deeply.
  "I wanted to apologize," he said, softly.  "I know I've been rude to you and your friends.  That's not how I want this whole relationship to start.  I'm so used to being put on a throne out in the fleet that I just forget that we're all the same in that classroom."
  "You don't need to apologize, Seresin," Sam whispered to him.  He stared at her confused and then shook his head.
  "No, I want to.  It's been unfair to you," he replied.  "I like you a lot, Sam.  You've changed since graduation from Annapolis.  And it really struck me."  He looked lovingly at Sam, grabbing her hands to hold them.
  "Well, I appreciate it, Seresin.  I just..." Sam thought to herself, realizing that she needed to call Rooster since he's wedging himself between them.  "I need to call Rooster."
  "Why? He's made it clear that he doesn't want me to do anything with you," Seresin retorted.
  "It's because he tried to ruin us permanently yesterday.  I need to call him," Sam replied.  Hangman nodded.
  "Would you like me to stay here with you while you do so?" He asked quietly.  Sam smiled and nodded.  Her hand went to her pocket, grabbing out her phone and calling Rooster up.  He picked up right away, causing Sam to do everything in her power to not scream at him.
  "I need you to come over.  We need to talk in person," Sam ordered.  
  "Yeah, sure, give me ten," he said, hanging up.  Sam stared down at the ground and then up at Hangman, opening up the door.
  "Do you want some water?" She asked him, walking inside and ushering him to follow. Hangman, without question, walked in behind her.
"That would be great, actually," he said, standing in the foyer as Sam walked in to the kitchen. Mrs. Kazansky had just cleaned up their plates and walked out to greet their guest.
"Jake Seresin," she smiled. "It is so good to see you. What brings you over?" She asked him politely.
"Samantha, ma'am," he spoke up with a smile. Mrs. Kazansky looked back at Sam, who was walking in with a glass of water Hangman and herself.
"Are you the one who sent her flowers?" Mrs. Kazansky asked quizzically. Hangman thanked Sam and took a quick sip of his water before nodding his head.
"Yes, ma'am. My mother always told me that women like flowers," he winked at Sam who rolled her eyes as she took a sip of water from her glass.
"Well, I'll leave you two be. I'll be in the office if you need something, Sam," her mother said, before walking off. Hangman stood there, looking at all of the family photos, and smiling at every picture of Sam. She went to explain each photo, but got interrupted by her phone going off. She reached into her pocket to grab it and noticed a text from her mother: "I like him. He reminds me of your dad when he was younger." Sam smiled a bit and put her phone back in her pocket, before looking back up to find Hangman looking at her. The two stared for what felt like an eternity before a quick motion had Hangman putting his glass on the table and his hands around Sam's neck, pulling her in for a kiss. Sam was shocked, but a quick squeeze to bring her in closer melted her away. She closed her eyes and kissed him back, running her free hand in his hair. He bit her bottom lip and hungrily wanted more before a knock on the door interrupted everything. They pulled apart and panted, staring at each other. Hangman looked down at her lips and then back up to her eyes.
"I want more," he whispered to her, giving her one final kiss before letting her go. Sam turned around quick, wiping her mouth, and opened up the door to find Rooster standing there. His brow instantly furrowed upon seeing Seresin behind his best friend.
"What is he doing here?" He asked.
"Us three need to have a talk," Sam demanded. Rooster sighed and walked inside, passing by Hangman with a glare. Sam shut the door and looked at Seresin and urged him to follow her to the living room. The three sat there in silence before Sam handed Rooster her practically full glass of water. He took it and took a quick sip.
"You two have issues you need to work out because it's affecting me," Sam piped up. Rooster and Hangman exchanged glances.
"I don't trust you," Rooster said without skipping a beat to Hangman, who chuckled.
"And why is that?" Hangman asked. Rooster shook his head.
"You're dangerous. You leave your wingman alone in the sky. You fly like you've got a death wish—."
"That's me flying," Hangman interrupted.
"I don't need you bringing that into a relationship," Rooster piped up. "Especially when it's with Sam."
"Well, Sam is old enough to make her own decisions," Hangman retorted. Rooster nodded and looked at her.
"I know." Sam stared at the two blankly and rubbed her forehead after a while.
"Then let her date who she wants," Hangman stood up. Rooster followed suit, and Sam prayed that they wouldn't fight. Or if they did, she preferred if they took it outside.
"If you break her god damn heart, Seresin, I swear to Christ, I will personally make sure you end up six feet under," Rooster whispered forcefully, getting into his opponent's face. Hangman chuckled a bit.
"You like her don't you," Hangman whispered back. Rooster exhaled loudly and then looked at the ground nodding his head a bit, admitting.
"Yeah, I do. But that's what happens when you know every gritty detail of someone, and when you've been friends for 25-ish years," Rooster piped up. Sam stared at Bradshaw and then shook her head.
"Whoa whoa, wait," Sam piped up. "You like me? For how long?" She asked confused.
"Long enough that I don't want to ruin our friendship," Bradshaw answered her before turning back to Seresin. "Please, don't hurt her." Hangman nodded and Rooster looked back at Sam, before excusing himself to go home. Sam watched him leave, and Hangman walked over to Sam.
"Who do you pick?" He asked, catching her off guard. Sam looked at Hangman and thought for a split second.
"Well, considering I think of Bradley like a brother, there only one obvious choice," she answered, standing up to face Hangman. His face sported a grin as his hand intertwined with her hair and the other snaked around her waist.
"I'm assuming that's me?" He whispered as his lips gently caressed Sam's. She smiled back and closed the gap. Hangman's grip tightened, hungry for whatever he could get his hands on.