Chapter 9

Now it was the waiting game. They had qualified for the Olympics and won the CONCACAF championship. But now, they had to put in the work as the months dwindled down until the first whistle for their first match in the Olympics.

JUNE - 1.5 MONTHS UNTIL THE OLYMPICS
Andy was restless. They had been home for a week now and Thorns practice hadn't started back up for the little family just yet. Something seemed off with the Thorns team and it made Andy nervous. She was worried that she wasn't playing well and they were going to trade her. Tobin had told her though that she was doing fine. That she was playing her best and whatever is going on, they'll just have to wait and figure it out together.

But, Andy was still nervous.

Today was the first practice the three were getting back to since they got back from CONCACAF. When they arrived at the stadium, everything seemed fine. The three walked into the locker room and started getting ready. Everything was fine. That is until Mark Parsons called the three into his office.

The Morgan-Heath family sat down in the chairs facing Mark's desk. "Hello, ladies. I'm glad call-ups went well. Congrats on the win." The three only smiled and nodded a 'thank you'. "Now, for the main reason I've called you in here." Andy fiddled with her bracelet. "So the new expansion teams are looking for trades as they enter the NWSL. Angel City FC just acquired Christen Press as you probably saw in the news. Miami Defiant FC is calling around, as well as Detroit Eclipse FC. And specifically, to some of my players here, San Diego Wave FC has called. I want to let you know that I've had lots of conversations with SDFC about a trade. A trade that involves you three." Alex, Tobin, and Andy stared dumbfounded at Mark. They had no idea where this was coming from. Why they were being traded?

"Can I ask why?" Tobin asked.

"Of course. Um, the biggest reason I guess is the outcome. We haven't had a great outcome over the last few games with you three here and to put it bluntly, we very much managed without you here. I know that seems harsh but I don't want to put you guys in a poor position that reflects badly on you. If you're not on a team that gels with you but another team starting could benefit from those top players, some thought is needed to be put in that." Mark paused. "Another reason is happiness. I see the three of you together all over the internet. No matter the place you're in, as long as you're together, you're happy." Alex looked down at her hands and pulled at the hem of her shorts. "So, I guess what I'm trying to say, ladies, is that I have a meeting with SDFC this Friday about finalizing a trade. That trade is you three. For three first-round draft picks this next upcoming year and three second-round draft picks the following year. Since none of you have the 'no trade' clause in your contacts, this final meeting will determine your release date from the thorns. You will still come to practice until that meeting and play the game this week. Once the trade occurs, you will officially be SDFC players." Mark explained. The three still didn't say anything. So he continued. "Ok. That's everything from me. I hope you have a great final week here in Portland. I hope you play your hearts out and just know that we love you guys but want what's best for you, your family, and your game." Mark finished. The three nodded and walked out of the room.

They had a lot of time before practice was to start so the family went into their own little space by their cubbies.

They sat down in chairs and sat silently for a while. "I don't understand," Alex said. "I know I've wanted to play back in Cali for a while but I didn't think he was actually going to do this and at such short notice. And to do it this way?" Alex rubbed her hands over her face. "What are going to do Tobs?"

Tobin stayed silent for a little as she processed what just happened.

"Tobin?" Alex asked. Tobin looked up at her girls.