Chapter 20

"Andy!" Lindsey yelled from behind. Andy passed back to her. She watched as the Canadian player on her slowed her pace as the ball left the area around her.

Lindsey passed it over to Kristie. Kristie hesitated and watched as players moved around her. She passed it back to Becky. A Canadian player started to close in on her so Becky passed it back up to Sam.

Tobin was getting open on the side and Sam passed it her way. After taking a touch, Tobin megged her defender and ran around. Her jersey was pulled a little bit but Tobin kept churning her legs forward and eventually broke free. She raced up the side, Andy and Alex closing in on the box. Tobin juked around the next defender that picked her up and crossed the ball in just before it crossed over the end line. The ball sailed towards Alex. The ball collided with Alex's head and sailed into the net.

The stadium erupted.

Alex raised her arms in the air and then pointed to Tobin. She smiled and ran towards her. She jumped into her arms and hugged her tightly.

The players celebrated Alex's goal and congratulated her. Both sides of players got back into their positions.

It was USA 1 Canada 0 in the 5th minute.

*****

In the 14th minute, the Canadian team rushed down the field after taking the ball from Sam Mewis. Jessie Fleming received a beautiful pass from Quinn.

Fleming, at the top of the 18, took an amazing shot and it sailed into the upper right 90 and passed Ashlyn Harris' outstretched arms. As the Canadian team celebrated, the USA walked back to their spots slightly discouraged but ultimately fired up.

Canada tied up the score to 1 apiece in the 14th minute.

*****

The United States had many more opportunities to score as did Canada but both keepers were not letting anything pass them.

It was nearing halftime when the Canadian team would rush down the field with the ball.

Quinn passed the ball up to Fleming once again but this time Christine Sinclair would receive a cross from Fleming. Sinclair would not get a head on the ball but instead get a whistle in her favor. Emily Sonnett had tugged slightly on her jersey. Not enough for a penalty in most cases but Christine Sinclair sold the pulled jersey and ultimately got rewarded with a penalty kick.

The Canadians could go up 2-1 over the United States with this kick.

Sinclair received the ball from the ref and walked up to the spot. She placed the ball down and got ready to take the kick. She jogged forward and struck the ball perfectly. It sailed to the lower right and Ashlyn Harris dove in the opposite direction.

Again, Canada was celebrating. Alex put her hands on her head as she walked back to her position. Tobin came up from behind her and tapped her on the back. "It's ok Lex. There's plenty of time left." She said calmly. Alex nodded.

The score was now Canada 2 United States 1 in the 45+3 minute.

*****

In the locker room, the United States players received encouragement that they could do this and get back in the game. All the players agreed. Soon, it was time to get back out onto the field for the final 45+ minutes of the Olympic Gold Medal match.

*****

Andy took a deep breath as she stared at the ref. The ref blew the whistle and the teams were off again.

In the 56th minute, Kelley received the ball from Ash. Kelley passed it up to an open Lindsey Horan who then passed it over to Sam Mewis. Sam dribbled around her defender and broke free. With Tobin, Alex, and Andy racing down the field with her, she noticed Andy start to get open. She lobbed the ball up. Andy watched the ball head in her direction and saw the Canadian goalkeeper coming out to meet her. Andy beat her to it and settled it with her left foot. With the keeper out and off balance, she tapped it up and struck it perfectly. It hit the back of the net with so much force, it seemed like it would blow a hole through it. The stadium erupted for the fourth time today and the second for the United States.