Chapter 24

The beginning of the game seemed like it took forever to start. Andy jumped up and down, anxiously awaiting the whistle. She looked at her mom and watched as she stared ahead. Looking at Alex, she noticed her looking ahead and towards the ref.

The stadium was deafening. Flags were being waved, smoke was swirling the air, and drums were hit. The Rose City Riveters were louder than ever.

Andy looked around the stadium. She remembers the first time she came here. She was still injured and not on the Thorns but she was treated like family. I guess because she's related to Tobin, that helped but they were all genuinely so nice. When Mark said they were traded to San Diego, she was just...shocked. She didn't have any words. As much as she wanted to keep her composure before the game started, she couldn't help but let a single tear roll down her cheek. She had felt so hurt because of what the Portland Thorns had done to her family but, she couldn't help what she felt. She couldn't help the love she still felt for the Thorns. But she had to forget all of that. Now, it was time to give San Diego a win.

Now, winning the game wasn't important for making the playoffs. They'd done that already. It was more of a morale win. They do, however, lock up a semi-final spot assuming a win for San Diego and a loss or tie for OL Reign.

Andy shook her head and got rid of her thoughts. She rubbed her face clear of tears and sadness. Looking at her mom, she got a thumbs up. Andy smiled and returned the thumbs up. Looking at Alex, now, and nodded and gave a thumbs up. Alex nodded back with a thumbs-up of her own. Within several seconds, the ref took the whistle in her mouth and blew.

Andy took off. Alex passed the ball back. Tobin received a pass from Taylor Kornieck. She weaves around midfielders and defenders and kept her eye open for open players. Andy, on the other side of the field, moved around defenders, trying to get open. She came face to face with Meghan Klingenburg. One of her good friends. Now her opponent. Shaking her head, she moved around Kling.

Tobin pushed the ball down the left side, as Alex and Taylor ran with her. She moved herself and the ball around Sonnett, charging forward. On the left side of the 18, Tobin watched as her teammates tried to get open. She crossed the ball in and Taylor got her head on the ball. She redirected it and it found the back of the net.

It was a dream start from the San Diego Wave. They were up 1-0 in the 5th minute against the Thorns.

*****

The Thorns tied it up in the 12th minute. Andy was frustrated but had to ignore it. She had to keep going.

*****

In the 36th minute, Alex stole the ball and took a crazy shot from the top of the 18. The ball ended up bending in for a goal and re-established the lead for the Wave.

2-1

*****

They went into the locker rooms up 2-1. "Hey, kid." Tobin said, walking up next to her daughter.

"Hey, mom." Andy said. Her hands were on her hips and she had been looking at the ground going over the first half in her head.

"How are you feeling about this game so far?" Tobin asked. Andy took a deep breath.

"Well. We could be doing better everywhere. The defense needs to stick on their woman, middies need to stop the ball or at least commit to stopping the ball. There were so many opportunities where Portland should have scored but thanks to Kailen making great saves, we're still in the lead. Us forwards? We need to take more shots. We need to be patient though. If there isn't an opening, we force it. We're rushing like we have only five minutes left. We've got 45. A whole half left. No rushing. We have to take our time." Andy said. Tobin nodded and smiled. She put her arm around Andy's shoulders.