Nervous Curiosity

Warning: Spoilers continuing!!! 

See the man who stands upon the hill
He dreams of all the battles won
But fate had left its scars upon his face
With all the damage they had done

And so tired with age, he turns the page

Let the flesh submit itself to gravity
Let our bodies lay while our hearts will stay
Let our blood invade if I die in pain
Now, if your convictions were a passing phase
May your ashes feed the river in the morning rays

And as the vermin crawls, we lay in the foundations of decay

"No, no, no. Shit." I mumbled quickly jumping down from the building we landed on which was practically identical to the previous universe. Only difference was the entire universe was collapsing in on itself. Buildings faded into a black ink as water rushed into the streets. Bridges collapsing slowly and cars basically flying through the air. Nothing was going to say this reality from the incursion taking place. "We have to find other, other, other you."

I went to run until I found the sanctum but Stephen pulled me back. "Jodie, if we have any chance at saving that girl then I need you to level your head."

"How am I suppose to do that exactly, Stephen? I've lost enough people in this lifetime and I forbid myself to lose another. Especially someone like America who, in less than a week, has shown me an entirely new perspective on life I didn't know was possible. A new version of happiness I didn't deem I ever deserved. If we don't move our asses then there is a damn good chance I'll end up worse than the Scarlet Witch ever could be." His eyes were sympathetic but I could tell he was more worried about me being irrational and impulsive before safe and responsible.

"I am just as upset and as motivated as you are but if we go into this with a murderous intent then a lot more can go wrong than just losing America."

"The only thing that can go wrong now is losing America. And I will not let it happen. Without us, that kid perishes. Her blood will be on our hands if we don't get to that sanctum and figure out a way back now. Don't make me do something I'll regret." Stephen held his gaze on me and somehow it softened my raging demeanor. He was quick to pull me against his chest hoping I would relax but instead it added another reason for me to fight. As uncertain as I was with where Stephen's feelings stood, he meant so much to me. I couldn't let him die. "I'm sorry for threatening you. I just can't lose anybody else."

"I know. Unfortunately, you have to remain optimistic for me. Normally I rely on you for that but I think I've learned enough from you that maybe I can provide some this time." His smile pulled a small one out of me. His hands found my cheeks quickly before his hand rested on the small of my back and our journey to the sanctum began.

"Whatever happened here, this universe's you didn't do a very good job at preventing it." Christine spoke as we continued to wake through the fading reality. Finally seeing the sanctum behind a thick fog, in the middle of nowhere. Literally standing alone like it's going to be the last thing destroyed, making this universes sorcerer supreme suffer greatly. Watching on as those he once loved and people of innocence pass on due to his un-calculated decisions.

"I'll make sure to tell him you said that." There was shadowed figure watching us from the window of the sanctum. I went to take my few steps forward as the figure disappeared but Stephen stuck his arm in front of me. "You are not coming with me. You need to stay here with Christine. You'll know when to come up."

"But Stephen I-"

His hands found my face quickly, forcing me to look into his blue eyes. Those eyes that reassured me everything would be fine. "This part is up to me, you have done enough and even though this is a minor break for you the battle is far from over. I love you too much to have you go up against myself especially one who can't even control his own universe. I will be okay. We will be okay. America will be okay." I trusted him. Though I could see in his pupils some worried laid within, I knew he was using optimism to push him forward. I brought my lips up to his in a quick peck that he deepened.