♡︎

"Get over it, Gi."

"No," I put my plastic spork down, my soggy green beans falling into the liquid that they swam in on my tray. "I mean, look at them. Does she wanna fuck her?" I gestured wildly to Nolina and Tara across the cafeteria.

Somebody must've been on my side, not putting either of one of them in my classes so far. It definitely was a topic of discussion among the messier people of my school how one of my friends was cool with Tara.

It wasn't a secret around Alyssum Grove High that I don't fuck with the girl. We had been beefing since ninth grade. Since the day she fucking tried me.

Countless fights between me and Tara.

"And Nolina would do this," I gave the back of Nolina's silky red head a dirty look.

"Stay cool, Gi. You know how you get when-

"How I get when what?" I snapped, drumming my short nails on the cafeteria table.

I already had people glancing at us, waiting on the drama to unfold and even if I wanted to, I couldn't hide the pissed off expression on my face.

"When you get like this," Caren said softly.

"I need to cool off. I don't even care anymore," I told her tightly, leaving behind my food and heading for the cafeteria doors. Luckily, Nolina and Tara weren't in the direction of my war path.

"I'm coming with you," I heard Caren say a moment later, suddenly besides me. "In case...you need me."

"It's the first day, man," I said emotionally, tears prickling in my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall. "I wanted to leave all this childish shit behind. Then Lina and Tara wanna do this shit."

"I know. And I know it sucks because she's your friend. Hell, she's my friend too. And although I don't have anything personal against Tara, you're my friend and I care about what you think to an extent. I can't believe Nolina would...just....I don't know," Caren sighed. "You don't be all buddy buddy with somebody your friend has had serious beef with. I mean, Tara almost made you lose your hearing one time. Just by luck, you were fine-

"Just...just chill. I needa chill in the bathroom right quick," I said lowly, throwing opening the door and startling two girls standing in the corner. Minding my business on whatever they were doing, I went to the sinks, dried one counter off, and sat down.

"Caren. How do I handle this?" I asked her after I had gotten myself under control.

"She's ignoring us- We ignore her. Don't feed into the gossip," she told me simply, brushing tenderly at the front of my head where some of my hair had escaped it's twists.

"I mean...no explanation. Why Tara? Are they dating or some shit? It sure looks like it," I frowned, feeling my anger building up again.

"Regardless," Caren said firmly, "we're gonna steer clear of them. Lina picked her side and so she can deal with that. Let's walk around until lunch is over. You don't have to see that."

"I feel like Tara did this shit on purpose," I squeezed my hands into fists every few seconds, staring down at them. "Even if they are something, she's probably only doing this to make me feel some type of way. Like, she's saying 'ha, I got your friend, what you gonna do about it', or some shit."

"Or...love worked in mysterious ways," Caren shrugged. "And Nolina feels guilty she's dating somebody you hate." Caren had a guilty expression of her own on her face...like she knew something more.

I squinted at her. "Did you know about this or some shit?"

"No," she frowned, looking offended that I had even thought that; all the guilt that had been clearly displayed suddenly gone. "I'm just running through the possibilities, man."

"I don't care if they're in love. We're in high school. There isn't any love," I frowned again. "Just good head and Tara cuffing my friend."

"That's cap and you know it, Gi," she said sternly.

"Whatever," I loosened my fists, shaking out my hands.

"Promise me you won't do anything, Gialla."

"I won't do nothing if she don't start it first," I stated, staring into Caren's eyes.

"Graduation...charges...attendance. You wanna spend your last year here like that?"

"I guess Tara wants me to," I shrugged, hopping off the sink edge.

"No. I think you want to," she shook her head, following me out of the bathroom.

Comment. Follow. Enjoy.