♡︎

"Where's he supposed to be?" Tara and I sat outside the courthouse on the steps, the sun not as hard on us as the breeze went by. We were waiting on my father to come here...since my mother obviously didn't want to have shit to do with me.

"He said he was supposed to be up front by five," I rubbed my arm. "I don't know where the hell he is."

"Probably running late. He's probably nervous to be meeting you after so long," Tara shrugged.

"Don't make excuses for him. That still isn't a reason for him not to contact me or be in my life."

"You never know...some mom's keep their children from their dad's for a reason. If that was the case with your mom."

"There isn't a valid reason for someone to do that," I stated.

"I think if you met some parents nowadays, you'd see things differently," Tara laughed roughly. "There are valid reasons for mom's to keep their kids from their dad's. You see it all the time."

"That's him," I stood up quickly, wearing the sweats and hoodie Tara had brought me. My things from the apartment was stored in her room at her apartment since my mom couldn't even wait for me to possibly get out of jail and have my shit arranged somewhere. I was grateful for that.

"How do you know?"

"I just do," I shrugged, walking quickly towards a blue compact car.

"I'm surprised your mom let you miss school for me," I smiled, glancing over at Tara as we made our way to the vehicle.

"She didn't. The school'll call and inform her sooner or later though," Tara smirked.

"Hello? Who are you here for?" I peeked my head into the car as the man rolled down his window.

I know. Dangerous to do even at a courthouse.

"Gialla?"

"Gialla Collins," I nodded.

"You sure...this is your dad?" Tara murmured, nudging me.

"Looks like the older, dustier version of the photos," I mumbled back.

"You look different," he blinked slowly.

"This is my girlfriend," I gestured to Tara.

And yeah, that had happened.

Tara officially broke things off with Nolina after I got arrested, and stuck by my side instead of leaving me like any sane person would do after someone they liked fought their own mother. And lost, at that. I know, from what Caren and Tara told me, that things were a little rough at school because of the change in things. Me gone, Felicity back, Nolina sour, Tara cuffed, and Caren alone.

Despite all the drama, I wouldn't trade what we have for nothing. Our relationship made me regretful of ever denying that I liked studs...or being mean to Tara over the kiss in ninth grade.

"Your- Your girlfriend," he stuttered, "What in the hell Lyric let you get into, girl?" My mother gave me her first name as my middle name. "You running around with lil girls...I-I can't believe it."

"If you don't accept me, you can drive away," I told him firmly. "My relationship doesn't affect, nor hurt you in any way."

"Agreed," Tara wrapped her arm around my waist, her show of unity.

"I'm surprised they let me get you. Lyric did good by me," he nodded to himself.

"Why you say that?"

"Don't worry about it, girl," he snapped. "Get in."