♡︎

"You know what's wild?" Caren asked me as we entered the school together, ignoring the gossip around us.

"What?" I entertained her, sliding my phone into the pockets of my sweats and letting some calming music soothe my ears.

"Nolina ain't text me all morning yet I see her posting," Caren stated.

"Hmph. Not surprised," I scoffed, "Seems to me like somebody's showing their true colors."

"Man, I didn't think it'd be our friend group. We were supposed to last through high school and after that too," Caren shook her head. "You wanna go get something from the vending machines?"

"If it wasn't for Tara..."

Caren started giggling, glancing over at me.

"Bruh," I gave her an annoyed look, "This is why I don't tell nobody nothing."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," she laughed, forcing a straight expression on her face. "I'm serious now," she declared.

"Mhm," I rolled my eyes.

"But was the kiss good?"

I smacked her on the side of the face lightly, "Don't talk about it here. I might hate the bitch but I did promise myself not to tell anyone. That's her business. Ion even consider it mine's. Don't nobody need to know what happened," I hissed.

"Fine, fine," Caren groaned.

We turned the corner, pulling out our money to get us something quick at the vending machines before the first bell would ring. "Guess who's over there," Caren giggled again.

"Bruh," I gave my friend a hard look, before sweeping my eyes across the crowds of kids walking around, and finally spotting Tara. "And guess who's all underneath her," I added, spotting Lina.

"Not surprised there," Caren nudged me. "Go get us something to drink and see if they notice."

I looked at Caren in her black skirt, white tank top and sparkly fishnets. "Now...you usually the one encouraging me to do good. What happened?"

"I didn't say bust them upside the head with the juice. I just said see if they notice when you walk by them to go to the vending machine. We'll know how Nolina moving for sure after this. If she ignores you, then that means we not good enough for her to be seen talking to as the baddest bitches in the school except on FaceTime at our homes."

"Not gonna lie. That plan would be solid if I wasn't who I am," I shrugged. "We'll see if this don't end with my foot up her ass."

"Switching schools...remember," Caren reminded me softly. "I don't want your mom to force you to go. Especially if you're my last bestie left here now." Her eyes drifted over to Lina laughing it up with Tara, "If," she repeated.

"I gotchu," I promised, giving her a side hug.

I approached the vending machine, waiting in the three person line as the people in front of me pushed and played. I didn't even look in the direction of Bitch and Fake Friend. If they see me, they see me. If they don't, they don't.

I made it the front of the line and paid for me and Caren's stuff, making sure I got Caren's change back. I grabbed the juice from the bottom after the machine spat it out for me, and glancing around real quick for any admin. I shook the machine a little to see if anything else extra would come out, completely ignoring the rules plastered on the wall about doing just that.

Slightly disappointed, I started my slow descent back to Caren, where she was texting on her phone.

"Gialla," I heard somebody call out.