♡︎

Fifth period felt too awkward. I could feel Tara staring at me when she wasn't taking down notes. I really wanted to...do so much bad things to her right now, but controlling my anger was my top priority.

I didn't have Caren to text so that I could fume quietly. Quite honestly, I didn't have anyone. Was I that difficult that she had to take a break from me?

"Alright. Now I want you guys to partner up and..."

I tuned the teacher out, already having an idea of what Tara's next move would be. I scanned the classroom, trying to figure out who I'd have to tolerate for whatever assignment Ms. Applebottom had now. I won't let her pair up with me. I refuse.

"...with Tara?"

I tuned back into the teacher's convo, boredly resting my face on my hand.

"Gialla," Tara answered.

My head whipped her away. "What? Gialla, what?"

"If you had been paying attention," the teacher said carefully, the way she said it grating on my nerves, "You would have heard me asking you guys to pair up. I started on this side of the class and asked Tara who her partner is. Are you two partners?"

Great, she really had to ask it like that.

I looked down, knowing if I stared at this lady's face I wasn't gonna make it through the class period. Taking a step back from this situation, it really is bad that I let every little thing get to me like this. This can't be normal. This can't be healthy.

"Yeah," I mumbled.

It'd be rude if I said I didn't want to be Tara's partner, right? And everyone's always getting on me about my attitude. Baby steps. Baby steps. Baby ste-

"I wasn't gonna let you run away," Tara said, standing over me as I sat at my desk.

I bit my lip, chuckling a little at how dirty her statement could sound if she really wanted it to.

"I saw you trying to pick another partner. I wanted to apologize for being so harsh earlier," she sat down in the desk right in front of mine's. It took me back to the first day of school. I still sat in the seat she originally had wanted (while currently, her book bag was in the seat the teacher moved her to in the back right corner, a few desks from this one).

"It's fine. We both can get outta hand at times," I shrugged.

Tara rose a brow. "You really don't know how to apologize back sometimes, do you?"

"It makes me feel weak," I stated. "What I look like lowering myself to admit my wrongs? If we both realize I'm wrong, why I gotta speak on it. Just ignore it and let me correct myself."

"Unfortunately," Tara started with a little smile, "that's not how manners work."

"I guess mine are bad then," I rolled my eyes.

"I assume you don't want me to acknowledge that statement based off of what you just said," she smirked.

"If I slap you...I'm not gonna have enough energy to take down Nolina when she finds out that I did," I told her slowly. "And that's saying a lot, because she might have a strong mind... but she definitely does not have any physical strength."

"How much power you gonna put into that slap?"

"Everything that I can. Every fiber and muscle," I laughed.

"See. I'm trustworthy. You can be real around me," she stated, noting my amusement.

"Doesn't feel like I can do that at all, lately," I looked away from her eyes.