Chapter IV: Osmanthus Wine

Like Real People Do by Hozier (I was listening to this song during the time I was writing this part and I think it fits the scenario so well)

    The wind is blowing gently as the afternoon sun slowly descends. Xiao was sitting at a nearby tree branch when the Traveler and Verr Goldet entered the balcony. He immediately noticed that she was wearing a different dress. After Lumine and Verr set down the trays with food, the inn owner quickly glanced at him and mouthed ‘be honest’ before she closed the door.

    “Xiao?” Lumine whispered.

    He reappeared seated at the balcony parapet with his back against the Traveler. So they really wanted him to join their party even if he already declined when Huai'an invited him. They even had the Traveler on their plan. Xiao was puzzled with the current situation. He never understood why mortals are so obsessed with these celebrations. And why did she mouthed ‘be honest’ to him before she left?

    “Verr told me you were waiting,” Lumine casually walked towards him.

    He glanced at her to take a good look at her outfit. He has existed for thousands of years but this is the first time he felt shy and happy at the same time. What a weird combination of feelings. The black cheongsam complimented her slim body, the slit on her legs made her look more mature. The gold embellishments compliment her golden eyes, which look like they sparkle as well. Xiao wanted to stare at her but he shyly looked away. He realized that the Traveler was right when she said that wearing different clothing gives off a different impression.

Inspired by the Traveler’s change of clothes, Xiao changed as well from his armor to his white and teal hanfu.

    “Do you like wearing hanfu now?” Lumine is pleasantly surprised at his change of garment.

    “Since you are wearing a different dress, I thought I should match you, “Xiao shyly replied.

    Lumine forgot that she was wearing a cheongsam when Xiao was talking, as she is about to sit on the parapet too. Xiao immediately grabbed her arm before she was able to climb. Lumine is surprised, the very same Yaksha that told her to leave him alone when she first met him is now casually grabbing her.

    “Are you that crazy to sit here?” Xiao snarked at her.

    He looked at his hand and quickly removed his grab on her arm. Xiao doesn’t want her to leave right away but he doesn’t want her to fall and hurt herself either.

    “I have a Mondstadt gliding license, this height is nothing compared to Dragonspine,” she huffed.

    “Whatever.”

    Lumine continued to sit beside Xiao in the parapet and as soon as she was able to, a sudden breeze pushed her hair to her eyes. She instinctively tried to remove her hair; Xiao’s nervousness got the best of him and he grabbed the Traveler’s waist.

    “Wha—!”

    “Don’t squirm!”

Xiao pushed Lumine towards the balcony and they both fell. He twisted her body toward him and protected her from hitting the floor hard. He silently prayed to Morax, or Zhongli as he calls himself now, for strength and patience as he stood up and offered his hand to the Traveler. Lumine’s heart raced, she has read this kind of situation from romance light novels suggested to her by Yae Miko but she never thought it will happen to her for real.