Chapter VI: Is There Still Anything That Love Can Do?

The Yaksha looked at her and she smiled. His heart skipped a beat, he knew of his growing affection for the Traveler but he could never even imagine that she would confess to him just like that. He conjured his mask again as he repositioned how he carried her. She grew quiet as well, looking over the clouds.
Xiao still couldn't believe what she just said, he remained silent as they descended towards the balcony of Wangshu Inn. His feet landed with a soft thud and he gently set her down. His wings slowly disappeared as Lumine walked over to the tree quietly.

The moonlight was shining brightly, giving off an ethereal glow to her silhouette. Someone must've lighted the lanterns around the balcony when they were flying, their warm light illuminating the whole area.

She turned around to face him, "Xiao--"

Xiao slammed his fist against the tree on Lumine's back. The branches shake and leaves slowly fall down. Lumine's eyes widened in shock, it is very rare for the Yaksha to be this emotional. She closed her eyes, tears slowly pooling behind her eyelids.

"Take it back! Don't you dare say it!" Xiao said in anger, "Do not dare!"

Lumine looked straight at him and took a deep breath. She can lie and say it was a joke but she knows that if she won't confess now she might not be able to do it anymore. She couldn't fake her feelings, she would rather be hurt by his rejection than lie to her heart.

"I love you, Conqueror of Demons," Lumine whispered as she closed her eyes, "I love you Vigilant Yaksha. I love you General Alatus."

She opened her eyes and declared, "I have fallen in love with you, Xiao."

She took a step closer to him and he pushed her back forcefully. Lumine's eyes slowly pooled with tears as she hugged herself. Xiao didn't reply, only stared at the beautiful blonde girl before him, tears finally starting to spill down her cheeks. A chilly night breeze blew around them, and the trees around them began to dance, their branches swaying gently. Xiao noticed that there were too many Geo Crystalflies on the balcony and he sensed Zhongli at the ground floor of the inn, mingling with the mortals and their celebration.

"You are an idiot or insane,"he whispered.

Xiao slowly approached Lumine and he wiped away her tears, they are too precious to shed for someone like him. His heart is filled with conflict, he couldn't allow himself to face the truth. Liyue needs his assistance now more than ever and he shouldn't mirror the affection that Lumine has for him. But his hands won't let go of her cheeks as her tears keep on falling.

Lumine is slowly accepting that Xiao may not reciprocate her feelings. She's on the edge of the cliff, waiting for that heartbreaking answer to come. Xiao's palms are warm on her cheeks and she closed her eyes again, preparing her heart for the rejection. She could sense that he is using some form of Adeptal art, as he glowed green. They stood there for a few minutes, Lumine crying quietly while Xiao, who was still glowing, intensely looked at her.

Xiao placed his forehead on hers as his hands settled on her shoulders and closed his eyes, uncasting the Adeptal Art he was using. Lumine could hear his heavy breathing and didn't notice that she unconsciously imitated his breathing pattern as well. If this is the last time she will be with the Yaksha, she should at least inhale and cherish his scent as much as she can. It was already rare for him to touch her, being this physically close is a dream come true. She didn't dare open her eyes, afraid that this might well be just a dream, but his warm breath that slowly mixes with hers is too real.

"Zhongli scolded me. He said I have served him for thousands of years, serving him and Liyue without thinking about myself and it's time I become selfish," Xiao whispered, "He told me that I should be honest with my heart, so I will."