introduction

INTRODUCTION

INTRODUCTION

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

JOHN B
"we're the pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.
the outer banks, paradise on earth. it's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. two tribes, one island.

alright so this is figure eight, the rich side of the island. home of the kooks. so, guess where we don't live.

and then, this is the south side or the cut. home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. the natural habitat of, drumroll please... the pogues. that's us.

pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. lowest member of the food chain. okay, so the downside of pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. but the upside of pogue life? we're ignored and neglected. which means we do whatever we want whenever we want.

that's jj, my bestfriend since the third grade. he's about as local as they come. latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their life living off the water. best surfer i know, other than a certain brown eyed blonde girl. just don't tell him i said that. mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

and that's kiara, or kie as we all call her. and when she's not saving turtles or listening to marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. i'm not really sure why, though.

so, she's a rich kid actually. foot in both worlds. her family owns the wreck, this outer banks institution. total cash cow with the tourists. you know, i'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. i guess we all sort of have a thing for her.

then that's pope, the brains of the operation. finalist for the lucas t. vanderhorst merit scholarship. and the smartest person i know. little bit of a weirdo. so, his father's this legendary character, heyward. anything you wanted on the island, heyward could get for you.

now, i'm not sure heyward knew what to make of his oddball son. but it didn't matter. he was a pogue, just like the rest of us.

and finally, that is lilith-rose steward, though we call her lilith or lils for short. the most wanted girl on the island of outer banks. she's actually a kook, born in england with her twin sister raven. lilith has always been a pogue by heart despite how much her dad despises us. lilith is the heart of the group. she takes care of everyone no matter what, even when her own life is a shit show.

we all love her, well platonically. we all know jj loves her more than that but won't admit it. pope and i have always had eyes for her but know there's no point in trying, especially when jj is around. she's pretty cool, most badass person i know, best surfer in the obx.

her dad's a shitty person and her twin sister is obsessed with rafe cameron. lilith loves raven, we all do but the twins fall out a lot now which is why raven doesn't hangout with us anymore. lilith and rafe had a thing and rafe still follows lilith about. lilith moved to the obx when her mum and step-father died in a car accident. that was when the twins were twelve years old. now lilith lives with raven and her dad on the rich side of the island, but she's always here with us, the pogues.

so, that's my crew.

and that's me, john booker routledge. and this is where i live. an old fish shack on the marsh. the château, as my dad used to call it. there's dad, he disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. who disappears at sea these days? i miss him. and then there's mum, she split when i was three. last i heard she was in colorado, i think it was colorado.

that's uncle t. since dad's vanished, he's supposedly my legal guardian. at the moment, he's in mississippi, building houses... which means it's just me right now, on my own, hangin' out with my friends.

three months after my dad was missing, he was officially presumed dead. i refused to sign the papers. until i see a body, i'm not giving up. 

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

just a small introduction to my new story :)