XVIII. love

CHAPTER EIGHTEENLOVE

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
LOVE

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

the next day, lilith couldn't shake the previous night out of her head. the way jj maybank held her whilst she held back the tears in her eyes. the words he spoke to her which immediately lifted her whole heart. how he so effortlessly cheered her up and filled her with happiness, even when she was at her lowest moments in life. even when she felt like she had nothing else to life. he was always there, always there to make her feel complete and show her that she is loveable after all.

but in the end, they were only friends. they always had been and unfortunately they always would be. and it broke her heart knowing that he would never feel the same way she felt about him. it tore her heart to pieces and scattered them across the ground for her to pick them up, piece by piece.

lilith scrolled through her phone as she walked down the street, on the way to the château to meet pope who claimed jj and john b needed help out in the marsh. which of course, she didn't want to do. but out of the kindness in her heart, she reluctantly agreed. though, her car was currently being repaired which meant she had to walk across the obx. she didn't actually mind though due to the fact that the sun was shining, the uv was extremely high and the busy streets were causing traffic.

"steward!" a familiar feminine voice called out, causing lilith to stop in her tracks. lilith let a small sigh escape her lips, preparing herself for the upcoming conversation, or to be more specific, lecture. "a word, please." peterkin spoke calmly, exiting the cop car she was sat in and closing the door behind her.

lilith turned around, a large smile planting across her face. "hey, peterkin. how are you on this amazing, sunny, glorious, blazing hot day in the life of an amazing, fabulous sheriff?" lilith grinned, watching as peterkin continued approaching her with furrowed eyebrows.

"lilith, i know that you've gone through a lot, but you and your friends keep doing this little treasure hunt and things will only keep getting worse for you. and you don't need that, you don't deserve that." peterkin shook her head, causing lilith to bite down on her bottom lip. before lilith could open her mouth to speak, she was quickly cut off again. "after i had that little chat with your boyfriend the other day, i realise how much you're involved, and i want to protect you."

lilith paused for a moment, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. she awkwardly folded her arms over her chest and bit the inside of her cheek to try and calm her nerves. "my boyfriend... what- wait, do you mean jj?"

peterkin rolled her eyes, stopping a smile from forming across her lips as she continued to remain serious. "blonde boy, quite tall, devious, sitting in my office the other day telling me you're not hunting for treasure. yes, maybank."