youre getting married

-taylors pov- 

Its Thursday after work when we arrive at my parents' mansion. At work my dad told me that he needed me to swing by their house after work because he had something important to discuss with me. It's a bit strange that he wouldn't just straight up tell me in the office, he usually does that, but I guess this might be something serious or something like that. 

Walking into my dad's home office he is there with my mom and they both have conflicted looks on their face. «What's going on? What did you want to talk to me about?» I say and sit down in the chair across from my father's desk. 

«I want to start this off my saying that we are doing this because we think it's what's going to benefit you in the end, as well as our company in the long run. My friend Richard Hilton and I have decided to merge our hotel empires into one bigger empire which will benefit us in all ways» he says, and I furrow my eyebrow. i know he has talked about merging with someone, but now he still has this conflicted look on his face so I know something else must be going on. 

«Well. I hope my position is secure. I know you've had your reservations but as soon as you want to step down I'm ready to take the CEO seat» I say confidently. Maybe that's what he wants to discuss, my future position in the company. 

«You didn't let me finish sweetie. As a means to secure this merger Richard and I have decided that it's in everyone's best interest if you and their oldest son Joseph enter into a marriage» he says and with the word marriage my eyes widen and jaw drops. 

The idea of marriage was something I swore of years ago, which my parents are well aware of. But now they want to enter me into an arranged marriage with someone I don't know. Sure I've seen him at business galas over the years, but we have never had an actual conversation. Joseph Alwyn is known for having a new woman on his arm whenever he feels like it. How our fathers think that we could ever be a match and let alone make him commit to being a one-woman person is just beyond me. 

«Dad, there is no way I'm marrying that man. We have nothing in common and it's a disaster in the making. It's your choice to merge the companies, and I can work with Joseph in a professional setting, but how can you think that we are suitable in marriage? I don't know him that well, but he has a reputation for being a... sorry for my choice of words but he is known as a womanizer and someone that would never settle for one woman» I argue and feel the sweat build on my back and neck. 

«I'm not asking you if you want to marry Joseph. I'm telling you that you're to marry him in two days or there will be consequences. In the long run you're going to see that this was the right decision for your future, and you and Joseph will learn to get along and work together in a marriage, that I'm sure off» he says and go on to tell me that he is well aware of what kind of reputation Joe has and that it's been a topic of conversation between our parents, but that they think this is in the best interest of everyone involved. 

«Sweetie, we wouldn't do this if we felt that it was wrong in any way. Besides Elizabeth and I agree that on a personal level you and Joseph could learn a range of things from one another. You have the responsible side that he is in desperate need of if he ever wants to take over the company, but he also has strong people skills, is charismatic and has a love for life in a different way than you. Sure there are differences, but we are confident that your particular differences are going to benefit you both» my mother adds, and I rub my temple. 

They have clearly been planning this merger for a while, it's not something you decide easily, and they have been doing it behind our backs. It just solidifies my belief that they don't think i'm fit to take over the company without a man by my side. My father has told me that a million times, that I need to find a suitable partner to build a life with, but that's easier said than done. not to mention that my parents are well aware of the things that has happened in the past that makes marriage a thing I wasn't interested in, but still, they are willing to arrange me into a marriage with someone I don't know.