Chapter 1: Fireworks

At 12pm the dance ends. Ponyboy and Johnny ride home with Steve. Two-Bit stays late with me, Cherry, and Marcia to help clean up. Then, Two-Bit and Marcia leave together.

I called Darry a few hours ago to tell him I'd be spending the night at Cherry's. Cherry and I don't get back to her place until almost 2am.

Her house is all decorated for Christmas. It looks wonderful. My house doesn't have any decorations yet. Sodapop, Mom, and I used to be the Christmas fanatics of the family. We used to stay up all night on November 30th to put up the decorations. Then we would wake the rest of the family by blaring holiday music at full volume once we were done decorating. Soda and I haven't been able to even look at the decorations without Mom. It doesn't feel right to celebrate the holidays without her.

Cherry and I go upstairs to her bedroom. Her bathroom, which is around the same size as mine and Johnny's bedroom, is to the right. We go in there and start taking apart our hairdos and wiping off our makeup.

"Shit!" Cherry says suddenly, "You don't have any pajamas. You can borrow some of mine."

"Thanks, Cherry," I say and she leaves to go get me some clothes. She comes back wearing a pink silk nightgown and holding a pair of flannel pajamas for me.

"These should hopefully fit you." She smiles and then stands there and stares at me.

"Can I maybe have some privacy?" I ask.

"Oh, sorry. Of course, you can. I'll be waiting in my bed." She leaves the room and I start getting changed. I still can't believe she actually likes me back.

I finish getting changed and sit next to her in her bed. It's queen-sized and so much more comfortable than mine.

"I had so much fun tonight!" I say.

"Me too. I'm super exhausted, though. I think I'm gonna go to bed."

"Okay, I'm probably gonna go to sleep too." I climb out of Cherry's bed and start walking over to the couch.

"Lavender. You can sleep in here with me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

I climb back into her bed and curl up next to her. She smells so sweet, like vanilla. I mumble "I love you" before falling asleep.

~time skip to the next morning~

I wake up at 8am, alone in Cherry Valance's bed. I wonder where my beautiful girlfriend went, but then I see a note on the nightstand.

Dear Lavender,

If you're wondering where I am, I'm taking a shower. I hope you slept well. I love you!!

Sherri V.

She's so freaking cute. I get out of bed and start wandering around her room. I notice that she has some pictures framed on her dresser. There's one of Marcia. A few are of her. One is of a boy who I assume is her big brother.

Then I notice a picture of Bob. His rings are in a dish in front of it. I flip his picture the bird. He beat up my best friend, tried to drown my twin brother, and was an awful boyfriend to Cherry. What an asshole.

At that moment, Cherry walks out of the bathroom. She's wearing a bathrobe and her hair is wrapped up in a towel. She's so adorable.

"Morning my love" Cherry chimes.

"Good morning Cherry." I walk over to her and pull her into a hug. "I missed you."

"I only woke up an hour ago, silly."