Chapter 24: The Letter

TW: SH

A couple of hours later, I'm eating lunch at the table and there is a knock at the door. Ponyboy goes to answer it. "Oh hey, Marcia! Wasn't expecting to see you here. Two-Bit isn't here right now if that's who you're looking for."

"I'm actually here to see Lavender," Marcia says.

"Oh. You're not gonna yell at her like that guy did last night, right?" Pony asks nervously.

"God no!" Marcia shouts. "I have a letter from Cherry to give her."

"Well, she's eating lunch in the other room," Pony tells her.

A few moments later, Marcia appears at the table. Her face is stricken with horror once she sees me.

"Did Roger do that?!" She shrieks and starts examining the bruises on my face and arms.

"No, it was David and two other football players," I explain. "They jumped me while I was waiting for the guys to come to get me. When Roger told me to leave, I just ran. I don't even know where I ended up. That was the first time I ever got stabbed. Hope it's the last, too."

"You got stabbed?!" Marcia questions, now becoming extremely worried.

"Three times."

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry that that happened."

"Yeah. But did I hear you correctly when you said you've got a letter for me?"

"Yes." She hands me a very fancy-looking letter with a wax seal on it. I open it carefully.

Dear Lavender, 

               Words can't describe how truly sorry I am for what happened. I knew that Roger wasn't the best person ever, but I never thought that he would do something like that. He's already told a few of his friends about you. I never meant for this to happen. And I promise that you never forced me into anything. I love you so much. You make me happier than I've ever been. I actually was sh free for a whole month. That all changed last night, unfortunately. But I just wanted you to know that I love you so much, and I always will. I'm so sorry it had to end like this. And I'm sorry that your secret is gonna get out. I tried to talk to Roger about it, but he wouldn't let up. I basically have ruined your life now. I'm sorry.

- Sherri Kate Valance