Chapter 10: Surprise

~time skip to the next day~

I'm meeting up with Cherry at noon so we can do our gift exchange. I got her a new hat & mittens, a Disney record for her player, and some film for her Polaroid camera.

I'm gonna surprise Cherry and cut my hair off this morning. Johnny and Soda are going to help me.

I'm sitting on my bed, and Johnny is brushing my hair for the last time. I think he's gonna miss my long hair more than me.

After he's done, we go into the bathroom. The two boys help me tie my hair into sections. Then I grab the scissors and snip the first bit off. It's weird to hold your hair when it's not attached to your head.

I hand Sodapop the scissors, and he cuts off the rest. It isn't neatened up yet, but I really like it. It feels so much lighter. Johnny takes the scissors and evens out the ends. I cut off 17 inches of hair, total.

"You look badass!" Says Soda.

"Yeah, I really like it," I say, running my fingers through my hair that now barely brushes my shoulders.

"It's pretty!" Says Johnny.

I have two hours until Cherry shows up. I kick the boys out of the bathroom so I can take a shower.

Quickly, I learn that it is much easier to wash short hair. This shaves so much time off of my morning routine.

After my shower, I put on one of the flannels Cherry bought me. Then I apply blush, mascara, and red lipstick. I like my hair even better now that it's clean. I hope Cherry likes it too.

At noon, the doorbell rings. I run to open the door. I haven't seen Cherry in a few days. She enters my house, and I kiss her immediately.

"Oh my gosh, it looks so pretty. I like the shorter hair better on you." She says while running her fingers through my hair.

"Thanks, babe!" I say as I grab her hand. "I want you to open up your gifts first."

I hand Cherry the stack of presents. And she opens the record first. "Awww, thank you so much!! I love it." She says with a smile. Then, she opens up the Polaroid film. "Y'know, I actually just ran out of film yesterday. These will come in handy." Lastly, she opens up the scarf and mittens. They are blue because that is the color that looks best on her. "Thanks, Lav!! I love all of the gifts!!" Cherry kisses me. "Close your eyes, and I'll get yours from the car."

A few minutes later, I hear the door open. "Open up your eyes!!" Yells Cherry.

She is standing there holding a gray pitbull puppy.

"Awwwwww!!!! Thank you so so so much!!" I scream with excitement.

Cherry places the puppy on my lap, "His name is Charming."

"He's so cute!" I say as Charming licks my face.

"I couldn't figure out what to get you, so I asked Johnny. Then he told me you really missed your old dog and would love a puppy. I also got you a bed for him, some food, a collar, toys, treats, and a leash."

"Thank you so much." I start crying happy tears.

At that moment, Ponyboy enters and screams, "Darry, you got another kid!!"

Darry runs in, and a look of relief creeps onto his face once he sees the puppy.

"He's a cutie." Says Darry as he walks over to pet Charming.