Chapter 27: The Return

I finally return to school. Going in, I already know that a whole bunch of people know about me being gay. And that scares me.

As I walk down the halls, I feel people staring at me. I try to ignore it.

In English class, a couple of soc guys start throwing wads of paper at me and making some rude comments. Ponyboy tells them to back off. They listen since Ponyboy has been pretty popular recently. Because of the whole murder thing back in September.

At the end of the day, I exit the school building and go out into the courtyard. I am shocked to find Dallas Winston waiting there.

"Dal, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"I'm here to walk you home. I don't want anyone giving you trouble." He says.

"Thank you so much," I say and we start walking. We decide not to go straight home. I'm hungry so we're gonna stop at the dingo.

We find an empty booth and sit down. A waitress comes over to our table and rolls her eyes when she sees Dally.

She looks to be about 16 years old. She's got jet black hair that's cut at chin length, deep blue eyes, and many freckles dusted across her pale face. She's wearing red lipstick and chewing gum. Her name tag reads "Delilah". Delilah must be new around here because I don't recognize her. I haven't been coming around the Dingo much lately because Cherry preferred the soc hangouts. But with a face as beautiful as that, I don't think I'll ever forget her. Delilah pulls out her notepad and turns to me. "What can I getcha?" she asks and then blows a bubble in her gum.

"I'll have some fries and a coke please," I say shyly. She writes it down on her notepad.

"Same as her," says Dallas, and then Delilah walks away. I can't help but watch her as she exits into the kitchen.

Dallas catches me staring and kicks me from under the table.

"What? I'm single now. And she was so pretty..." I whisper defensively. "What do you know about her?"

"Delilah Canterberry." He says, "She just moved here about two months ago. Lives with her cousin in the apartment above the five and dime. I've tried to flirt with her a few times but she seems super uninterested. I don't think she's going with anyone. I'd say it's lookin' pretty good for you."

"Hm..."