Chapter 33: Forgiveness

~time skip to the next day~

I've been waiting all day for the guys to visit, and they're still not here. School ended an hour and a half ago. Where are they?

I realize now how bored Johnny must've been. And he was stuck here for two months. I've only been awake for a day and I'm already bored out of my goddamn mind.

After about 30 more minutes, there's a knock at my door.

"Come in!!" I yell. A nurse enters. My three brothers follow behind her. I quickly notice that Ponyboy is holding my letter in his right hand.

Soda sits on the foot of the bed, "I'm so glad you're okay," he lets out.

"We're all so curious what this says, tho" explains Ponyboy and he hands me my letter.

"Dear Lavender," I begin to read aloud, "I am so incredibly sorry to hear about Dallas. I know how close you two had become. And I'm even more sorry that your date was interrupted and you were shot at, all because of my close-minded brother. Roger is coming to visit tomorrow and I'm going to talk to him about some things. I'd like to come to visit you if that's okay".

"Oh shit," says Darry and we all look at him because he doesn't usually use that sort of language, "What? We were all thinking it."

The three of them stay for a couple of hours and we just talk. Before they leave, I write a note for Cherry.

Dear Cherry,

Don't apologize because it's not at all your fault. We'd been dating for 3 months and we were just bound to get caught. But, I'd love for you to come to visit.

- Lav

~time skip to the next day (Wednesday, May 18th)~

In the afternoon, the nurse comes into my room to announce that I have visitors. I ask what they look like and she tells me that it's two people. One is a redheaded teenage girl, and the other is a tall and dark-haired man. She explains that the two of them look alike and could possibly be related.

I know that the man is Roger, so I'm hesitant to let them in. But after a moment, I tell the nurse that they can come in.

Cherry enters first, and Roger follows behind her. They both are carrying flower bouquets. They set the flowers down on the table next to my bed.

Cherry sits down on the chair next to me, and Roger takes a chair farther away. I forgot how beautiful she looked up close. I've seen her around school a few times, but we tried to keep our distance to stay safe.

"Hi, Lav," says Cherry. Those were the first words that she's spoken to me in 2 months.

"Hi, Cherry," I say back.

"Um, Roger has something important he wants to say to you," she explains.

My heart starts racing as Roger steps forward. This could go very good or very bad.

"I'm sorry," he says, "And I know an apology won't fix what I've done, but I hope you can forgive me. I was wrong about you. You're not a threat. The people in this town who want to hurt you simply for loving someone are the threats. I really am going to try and fix this. I don't want my actions to cause any harm, or take any more lives. I just wish I could turn back time and fix all this. You are a really nice person, and my sister really loves you. I really hope you can forgive me, and I'm incredibly sorry about what happened to your friend".

"I accept your apology," I say to him and he exits the room.

I look at Cherry and we both start crying.

"I missed you so much," she sobs, "And you're completely allowed to say no, but will you be my girlfriend again?"

I sit up in my bed, lean over, and kiss her, "Does that answer your question?"