Chapter 32: Don't Think

~time skip~

I wake up in a hospital room. I've heard stories of people needing a minute to fully recall why they're in the hospital. But I remember why I'm here right away.

My shoulder feels pretty numb right now. I hope it heals well. I'm not even 15 yet, and I really don't want to deal with shoulder problems for the rest of my life.

"You're awake!" Johnny chimes. I didn't even notice him sitting there. I notice Pony, too.

"Hey!!" I smile.

"How are you feeling?" Asks Pony.

Don't think about Dallas. Don't think about Dallas.

"I don't feel anything. My shoulder is numb." I tell them.

"Well, you should know that you've been in a coma for a little over a week. The incident happened last Friday tonight. Right now it's Monday afternoon." Explains Ponyboy.

"Oh." I say, "Well, how are you guys? I'm sure I missed a lot in a week!"

"Yeah. Um," Pony says and he looks at Johnny. What's going on? "You missed uh-".

"You missed Dal's funeral," Johnny cuts in. A tear streams down his cheek, "It was yesterday. Was small. Us, Marcia, and the Shepards were the only ones who showed. Not even his own parents. Oh, and Cherry stopped by too. Brought you a letter. It's at the house, we'll bring it to you tomorrow."

"Oh," is all I say. Johnny and Ponyboy pick up on my feelings really quickly and leave the room.

"See you tomorrow," says Pony as he closes the door.

He died gallant.