Clones

"Wait!" Baizhu ran out of the door and followed Childe. He hadn't noticed that Zhongli was there nor did he care about any of that. All he wanted to know was one thing and one thing only. "Why is Dottore obsessed with trying to keep me here?" 

"Isn't that something you should be asking him?" 

Baizhu remained silent. Childe stared and shrugged. He continued walking so Baizhu continued following. 

"You're not going to let up, are you?" Childe sighed, shaking his head. "Fine then, follow me," he waved his hand over his shoulder and invited Baizhu to follow. Not that Baizhu had any plans on doing anything different. 

"Do you remember your parents?" Childe asked as he opened a door. 

"What kind of question is that?" Baizhu picked up Qiqi and frowned. 

"Well, do you?" Childe stared. 

"No...I don't...I'm an orphan." 

"You're no orphan. I admit, it took me a while to piece the two together but...you're no orphan..." Childe walked into the room and gestured. Baizhu stared, confused at first, because the lighting hurt his eyes. 

"What is this?" Baizhu frowned. There were cylinders holding numerous people. No. Person. All connected to one giant tube in the center. He was wearing a mask, just like the rest, but he felt...familiar. They all did. 

"This is Dottore," Childe stepped forward. He let the words sink into Baizhu's head and didn't offer much else. 

"They're all Dottore?" Baizhu walked closer to the cylinders and placed his hand on the glass. He looked up at the one in the center, confused. Didn't Pantalone just say he'd burned the original? Was this what he meant? Or was he lying?

"Pantalone didn't destroy him but the Dottore you know doesn't know that. He has been using that as his excuse to boss Dottore around the past few years. They're clones. They're all clones and you," Childe pointed at Baizhu. "You're no different." 

"What are you talking about? Of course I'm human." 

"Of course you're human, hm?" Childe placed his hands on his hips, laughing. "Naturally no clone would think otherwise. It's not like he gave you purple blood or other inhuman qualities. Did you think Dottore looked different? That he wasn't a human just because he wore a mask? But he isn't human. He is a clone. just like those ones there. And there." Childe pointed at cylinders left and right. 

"I'm not Dottore." 

"I didn't say you were." 

"So who am I supposed to be a clone of?" 

"Who do you think?" Childe smirked. "I'll give you a hint. Who's the one that stabbed Dottore in the hand? Did you see him? Get a good look? Because once you do, you'll know. That's the reason I thought you looked familiar..." Childe crossed his arms. "Because I'd seen you before. Imagine that."

"You never told me you thought I looked familiar." 

"And why would I?" 

"Did he make me?" Baizhu found it hard to believe he was a clone of someone else. But he found the need to ask questions anyway. What was he going to do? What should he do? Finding out he was a clone made it difficult to remain a neutral party in this city's weird disputes. He really couldn't leave. If someone saw him leave then he'd be considered a member of the Fatui. But if he stayed...he couldn't remain a neutral party. What should he do? What was his next step? And Qiqi...how could he protect her? 

"I don't attempt to understand the man. I didn't know him for long before the accident happened. But I can say this: why would he need to make you if he had Pantalone? No, I don't think he made you. The one who wants to protect you, that is far more likely." Childe grabbed Zhongli's hand and led him outside. The door closed behind them. Baizhu stared at the unconscious Dottore in the cylinder. He walked around, staring at each of them. Different ages. Different shapes and sizes. Some of them missing organs. 

"Is he trying to bring him back?" 

"And who might you be?" 

Baizhu shivered, feeling two hands firmly grasp his shoulders. He turned around to see his own face staring back at him. Dark black hair and glasses. The two might look similar but he refused to believe he shared any of this man's horrible personality. 

"I-" Baizhu stepped back, pressed against the 'original' Dottore's glass cylinder. Pantalone glared, slapping his hand beside Baizhu's head. 

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" He pointed at Qiqi. "And what the fuck is that?"