Chapter 30

*****WARNING: low key smut ahead!*****

Harry POV:

 It was Friday...my first game since the incident, and I was terrified. I had been doing much better in practice, but I could still barely make it through a scrimmage game without needing my inhaler at least once. Coach still wanted to play me, however, and I wasn't about to let the team down.

So here we were, down in the locker room on Friday evening, changing and getting ready. I was already dressed, having stayed after school by myself to practice. I hadn't told anyone that I was staying, so you can imagine the looks of surprise when Louis, Liam, and Niall came in and saw me sitting there in my uniform. Liam was now off his crutches, but he wasn't allowed to play for a few more weeks at most, so he was sitting with me. He had been trying to get me to talk for the past ten minutes, but I couldn't make myself. I was too scared.

"Haz, are you sure you're OK? You look like you're going to be sick..." He muttered in my ear, so that only I could hear. I just nodded, not saying anything, and chewing on my bottom lip. Liam shook his head and stood up to help his boyfriend get his jersey over his head. Louis took his spot and made me look at him.

"Hazza, I need you to talk to me, love. Being silent about your feelings isn't going to help you. I just want to see that smile again..." He said, his voice filled with concern. I let my hand slip into his and I laced our fingers together.

"I...I'm just scared...I don't w-want to have an attack on the field...not a-again." I mumbled, and Louis' face softened. He pulled me into a hug and whispered into my ear.

"You're gonna be just fine. Coach has informed the refs of the asthma, they completely understand if you have to leave the field for it. And I'll be there, if you need me."

"I always need you, Lou," I replied simply, and he smiled. I had been getting better at speaking without stuttering, but my voice was still painfully quiet, and there was nothing I could do to fix it.

"And I'll always be there for my Hazza...always," He said warmly, kissing my cheek quickly. We still hadn't come out to the team. Coach knew of course, but as for the rest of the school...not quite yet. We figured, after the whole school finding out what happened to me, that we didn't need any more drama.

"Alright team! Listen up! We just have to win this game and the next one, and we are in for the National Championships. And, of course, we have our own Harry Styles back and ready for some action!" A cheer went up throughout the locker room and Niall clapped me on the back. I blushed at all the attention and attempted to hide behind Louis. It didn't work very well. "Let's get out there and show them what we've got." Coach concluded, and we yelled in triumph again before heading out onto the field. I had my inhaler clutched tight in my hand as I walked out with Niall, Liam, and Louis. The screams of the crowd hit me and I flinched just a little bit. So many people...

"You're OK, love." Louis whispered, leaning up on his tip toes to talk into my ear. I nodded and headed over to our side of the field, doing simple warm-ups while the rest of the team did the usual lap. Coach wanted me to save as much of my energy as possible, and I agreed with him. Liam came with me and sat down on the bench. He held out his hand and I placed the cool plastic on his palm. He gripped my hand for a moment and looked right into my eyes.

"I believe in you, Harry. You can do this." He said, completely straight-faced. I nodded, my curls bouncing everywhere, and I brushed them out of my eyes quickly. The whistle had just sounded, and the team was heading over for a huddle. I suddenly remembered that I was the captain of this team, and was therefore expected to make a speech, a pep talk. I twisted my hands together as the team gathered around me and I took a deep breath. I was going to get through this without stuttering, I was determined.