Butting heads

Alina 

I moan in annoyance at the light coming from the side of the curtain. I forgot to close last night. After our brief run, we went out on to my balcony and enjoyed some dinner while getting to know each other. He told me the reason behind his revenge and other little things. He seems like a nice guy, but I have trust issues with new people, and I don't want to be stabbed in the back again.

I'm still dealing with a traitor of a beta aka my fake father, I should have saw the signs when he got angry and when his wolf would blow up at me and Austin as children when we could not use the swords, bows and arrows correctly. We were 8 and 10, which I was too young for me to hold something so heavy. Didn't understand the whole sword thing since wolves haven't used them in centuries, but that how my father was brought up by his dad and grandfather. Now knowing that he is not my father is a relief and now I can focus on being the next head warrior of my pack.

I just realized that the space next to me is cold, so I turn around to find it empty and his scent is a little fainted meaning he has been gone for a little while. I hate to admit it, but since we were sharing the same bed; I have been getting a good night's sleep for once. Since I was a kid, I always had a hard time staying asleep, but I wonder if it's the magic that was doing it or the other half of me is also the reason.

You might think I am crazy for trying to work it out with a guy who killed my father and some of my pack members, but he didn't kill him for power or for nothing at all. He wanted to kill his mother murdered who was supposed to be her best friend and protector. How do you back stab your best friend and almost murder all those children as well? I still don't understand why my father followed the kings' orders knowing who he had to kill, and I can't ask him now since he is dead.

We have other issues to deal with and one thing I don't want to do, but he has been down there for a while and I'm sure he will be surprised that I have been back and haven't visited him. I'm sure I will get a lecture from him if his wolf is not in control. I need to see jane and see how she is holding up since dad has been gone. I bet she is so confused about what is happening right now. I wonder if she knows that I am even here. I should have checked on her the moment I came home, but my mind was so occupied by Eugene and my self centered mother.

I better wake up and start my day before I waste the whole day away. I get dressed and head towards the stairs, but before I could head down the stairs, I hear Eugene call my name from my father's office. I wonder if he found something useful for us to use against this next threat if it strikes soon. I still have my own things I need to figure out before I go to the next step with my mate.

His office is very bland, just like he was. Everything was in perfect order and not even a speck of dust on the furniture. No pictures of me or Jake, only his first mate, Jaydens' birth mother. I wonder how jane felt when he never had a picture of her on his desk or anywhere in this pack house. If I were in her place, I would feel hurt in so many ways.

''Anything of use to us?'' I see a crumpled piece of paper on the desk. What did the paper do?

″Just the letters between the king and your father.″

Judging by his face, this must not be a good, I wonder what my father was thinking when he sided with that evil king. He is the worse king in werewolf history in my eyes. He treats the women like shit and makes his men do all his dirty work, but we could never say what was on our mind about him without dad lashing out at us when we heard he did something awful again. Now I know why dad defended the fucker.

''Your face says it all, so I guess spit it out already, Eugène.''

″Your father made a deal with the king about you marrying him and in exchange, your father would get money coming in every month from the kingdom.″