11 | Pills & Potions

Nadine stayed awake all evening. She smoked, she had a few cups of Baileys' and some Vodka before taking a shower and actually watching a movie. She suddenly remembered someone had come to see her in the hospital but she wasn't sure who it was—she felt excited that it might be Na'ila since she told her she'd come and see her again. In her dream.

Amna has been calling Yusuf since morning to hear if she can come to the house to see Nadine. It was more to see Yusuf but she also felt like if she could bring a smile to Nadine's face it was a plus for her.

He agreed as long as she'd lie that she was Nadine's friend from university. In an hour she was at their door, loudly blaring her horn for the sluggish gateman to come and open it.

He let her in and she called Yusuf to come and open the door but he knew he needed to steer clear of her so he called Amira to his room since she was the only one who knew they were friends.

"Sit,"

She was scared she did something but she sat anyways and listened.

"Amna is downstairs. She came to see Nadine today. Pretend you don't know we are friends."

"Ok."

"Be the one to welcome her so she doesn't ask of you and they'll start asking questions."

"Do you want me to get a message across to her ?" She wriggled her eyebrows.

He hisses and carries his phone from the top of his pillow "Get out."

She laughs and stands up to do as he has asked. Aamanee is coming out of the kitchen as soon as she reaches the end of the staircase so she begins to run to the door. Aamanee goes back to the kitchen, confused but she didn't care because she was texting Uncle Adeel before she heard the knock of the door.

"Amira." Amna exclaims.

"Aunty Amna." She hugs her.

"How's everyone doing?"

"Alhamdulillah, I've missed you."

Amna blushes, that was just 1% of her excitement. The fact that one of his siblings already likes her so much is crazy to her.

"I've missed you too." She really did.

If she was being honest, she preferred Amira to Nadine and already planned what she would when she came here and first was to give Amira a bracelet and a small tub of ice-cream.

Amira jumped excitedly and took it from her hands "Thank you!"

"You're welcome Ami. Can you take me to Nadine?"

One a nickname basis now.

"Sure." She drags her up to the staircase and asks her to wait by Nadine's door.

Amira goes in and sees Nadine isn't in the room but it's spotless and smells like new flowers in spring. The sharp sound of toilet being flushed leads her to the door and she knocks then says "Amna is here to see you."

"Where is she?" She asked even if she wasn't sure who that was.

"She's outside the door."