Familiar Faces

Hermione looked stunned at the man in front of her.

"He-Hello sir. It's lovely to meet you to-"

"Please my dear, call me Gellert. It is delightful to make your acquaintance. My dear grandson has told me so much about you" Gellert smiled charmingly, happily, as they shook hands before he pulled Y/N into a tight hug.

"I have missed you greatly grandson. Tell me how are you? I sense a weight on your shoulders. Allow your grandfather to help you lift it".

The three sat and talked, Hermione and Gellert getting to know each other and Y/N updating Gellert on the state of affairs in Britain.

"It's a state of undeclared war" Gellert said sadly. "A battle in the shadows where one side thinks nothing of wholesale slaughter to get closer to their aims".

Y/N nodded. Gellert looked down before placing a hand on Y/N's shoulder.

"You are a better man than me Grandson. You mourn your losses. It's what will make you a great leader. When I was leading my forces in the war I thought nothing of their deaths, as long as it served the greater good".

Y/N wasn't sure how to answer that statement. Gellert smiled before looking over to his future granddaughter-in-law.

"I sense there is something you wish to ask, Hermione?"

Hermione smiled, slightly looking down, before finally asking.

"I've read a lot about the war, about what you were said to be, to have done, Gellert. I'm just having a hard time reconciling that person with you, my boyfriends loving, supportive grandfather".

Gellert smiled.

"I'm a different man than I was. 50 years of reflection will do that. I make no excuses for who I was and what I did, but that is not who I am now. All I want now is to be a grandfather to my grandchildren, and if the fates allow a great grandfather... one day".

He chuckled at Hermione's blush.

"That reminds me grandson, Nippy's child is old enough now as promised".

Gellert got up and walked out of the drawing room before returning with a Dimorphodon on his arm.

"As promised, your grandfather's contribution to your project" Gellert smiled as the winged reptile flew over to Y/N's arm.