Chapter 1

Chapter One

The End

The group inside Montgomery and Son’s Funeral Home had been steadily growing since it had started coming in at 11:00am. The Line in front of the coffin was long but was moving at a steady pace. People stopped at the mother and father who stood next to the coffin to pay their respects before they moved on. When they got to the coffin most would stand and stare and mutter things like “He was way to young”, “He’s in a better place.”, or “His poor parents.” There were the occasional less sentimental comments that one may come to expect at a funeral of one who committed suicide. Most of those comments were muttered while mixing with the small groups that had formed all over the funeral home.

“Mr. and Mrs. Joyner I am so sorry about Wesley.” The man at the parents now was a tall young man with dark brown hair. He stood a good four or five inches above most the people in the crowd. He was a very handsome with piercing blue eyes. His face was lined with a thin strip of beard that came up in to a goatee. He was well built and wore a pair of black pants, a dark silver shirt and a bright yellow tie. “I hope you don’t mind the tie, I know yellow was his favorite color and just felt right to wear it.”

Mr. Joyner answered much like he had been doing for most of the funeral. Mrs. Joyner couldn’t get words out due to the tears that she was shedding. Mr. Joyner smiled as he answered. “The tie is very nice Mike, I am sure he’d love it. It’s something that he would have done.”

Mike stuck out his hand to shake Mr. Joyner’s and then leaned in to give Mrs. Joyner a hug. Before she let go she whispered to Mike.

“When the funeral is done can you meet me at Wes’s house? There is something he wanted you to have.”

“Of course I can.” Mike gave one last squeeze and then leaned back up and made his way towards the coffin.

This was the part that he was dreading the most. He hadn’t seen Wes in about a year now due to a falling out that they had. Mike was dreading this part the most because he was feeling guilty about leaving. He also felt like he knew that things were leading to this, like he should have warned someone about Wes and his behavior way before it had ever gotten to this point. He knew though that even if he had Wes would have denied everything even in his unstable mental state he was smarter and more level headed then most people were. Mike knew that Wes would have lied and manipulated anyone into thinking that there wasn’t a problem at all, but even knowing this he still couldn’t fight the guilt.

When Mike made it to the coffin he looked inside. Wes looked exactly the same as he did the last time he had seen him. The body was dressed in a pin stripped tuxedo with a yellow rose boutonniere on the left side of his jacket. Mike began to smile when he saw that the tie he was wearing exactly matched the tie Wes was wearing. HE looked back over his shoulder towards Mr. Joyner and saw that he was looking back and smiling. He turned back towards the body and placed his hand on Wes’s chest. “You cheeky son of a bitch.” He said with a slight smile. “You always said you were going to go out in style.” Mike reached up and straightened the yellow tie on Wes’s tux took a deep breath and began to walk away.

He made his way towards a tall think young woman that was wearing a tight short black dress. She had dark brown hair nearly black to match the dress. She was wearing yellow dangly earrings and yellow heels, more than likely at the request of Mike.

“You ok honey?” She asked in a low comforting voice.

“Yeah, as good as I can be I guess. I feel like I should have done something. Like I could have stopped this.”

“You couldn’t have done anything Mike, and you know that. We talked about this remember. It was his decision and his alone. You tried countless times to get him to get some help but he wouldn’t go.”