Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Halfway Home

Mike had been completely lost in his reading and only noticed that they had pulled off the highway when they stopped under the bright lights of the gas station.

“Potty break.” Jen said as she turned back to face Mike. Tracy had already opened her door and started getting out. “You ok back there? You have been very quiet. I haven’t been able to tell if you were sleeping or reading.”

“Been reading, why didn’t you just ask?” Mike opened his door and spun himself around and pulled himself out of the car. He reached up and stretched out his body.

Jen followed him out of the car and walked around to him. She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him close to her. “If you were asleep I didn’t want to wake you.”

“Nope been back there reading over the journal entries.”

“And” Jen asked still wrapping her arms around him.

“I feel like a total asshole.”

“You shouldn’t feel like an asshole babe.”

“How could I not Jen?” He came to me for help, came to me to talk, and I blew him off.” He paused and took a deep breath letting it out in a large sigh. “When I wasn’t telling him he was crazy that is.”

“It’s a very strange situation and it’s hard to say how anyone would react in it.” She leaned back and looked up into his eyes. “He knew you still cared about him. You were just having trouble dealing with everything is all.”

“Yeah but I was his friend I should have believed him.”

“Well tell him that.”

Mike stood there in silence. “If I can.”

“Oh I think you might have that chance.” Jen said with a smile on her face.

“Why do you think that?”

“Well he did what he did so they could be together. He said it himself in his suicide letter. Maybe you’ll see me around.” She leaned her head back against his chest. “You told me that.”

Mike stood there in silence for a minute before he spoke. “I thought you had to pee?”

“I do waiting on Trace to come out. We didn’t want to leave all the stuff in the car by itself.”

“Well what the hell am I?”

“Injured chop liver.” Jen smiled as spoke. “Let’s face it you’re not a hundred percent yet someone could easily get the best of you.”

Mike looked back down at her and smiled. “You are such a brat but I love you.”

“Love you too.”

Mike leaned down and kissed her on the lips. “I can’t wait to show you a hundred percent.” he whispered in her ear then bit her earlobe.

She let out a slight moan. “Well I can’t wait to take your hundred percent.” She reached down and squeezed his butt.

“The mighty protector returns.” Mike said aloud as Tracy was nearing the car.

She stopped staring puzzled. “What?” she asked.

Jen turned to face her. “Oh just giving Mike a hard time about being hurt.”

“Oh.” Tracy smiled. “I’ll go ahead and pump the gas.”

“Ok wasn’t thinking sorry. The credit card is in the middle console.” Jen took Mikes hand and they walked to towards the gas station. Once inside she led him hand in hand to the back near the restrooms. She peaked inside to make sure the coast was clear then drug him inside with her. She slowly backed him up against the wall and stood on her tip toes and started to kiss his neck.