Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Overnight Watch

“Where am I?” Mike asked in a groggy voice as he finally came to. He tried to sit up but had several sets of hands and straps holding him down. “Wha…” Is all he managed to get out before he gave up trying to get past the hands and straps holding him down.

“Whoa Son take it easy.”

He knew the voice sounded familiar but the image wasn’t coming to him. All of his thoughts were all hazy and he couldn’t bring anything to the front to make a coherent thought.

“You got hit pretty hard Mike.” The voice said. “You’re in the back of the ambulance and we are on our way to the hospital.”

I know that voice. Who is it? I know it. He thought to himself trying to place the voice. Just as he felt it coming to him he heard another familiar voice.

“Mike? Can you hear me?” It asked. “Can you open your eyes?”

The image of the person that belonged to this voice shot through the fog that had been holding his thoughts back and broke through to the surface.

“Jen.” He said.

“Yeah it’s me.” She squeezed his hand and to her upmost pleasure she felt him squeeze back. There wasn’t a lot of pressure but any sign of response was good to her. “I’m here with coach.”

Damn it, I knew that voice. He thought to himself trying to mentally get the fog out of his head. “Mom, dad?”

“They are following us.”

“Where are we going?” Mike asked trying to pull everything together and make sense of it.

“To the hospital you got hit…” Her voice trailed off.

“You got hit hard son went down even harder too.” Coach began to explain. “Got hit on your blindside.”

Mike laid there silent as if trying to piece things together. “Did we win?” He asked. Everyone started to chuckle and he realized that there were more people in there than he was talking to. Of course there are more people in here. He thought to himself. He could feel the fog slowly lifting. He could feel the ambulance slow and turn then come to a complete stop. “What’s going on?” he asked finally opening his eyes. He could see Jen sitting on his left holding his hand and Coach sat to his right looking towards the back of the ambulance.

“We are at the hospital.” An unfamiliar voice said from below his line of sight.

He heard doors open and then felt himself shake and then move.

“We are going to need that hand ma’am.” The unfamiliar voice said and Jen let go of his hand. “We’ll get it back to you as soon as we can. For now we are going to need you to go have a seat in the lobby though until we get him all settled in ok.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can sweetie.” Jen said trying to hold back tears.

“I’ll be waiting.” Mike responded.

The EMTs pulled mike the rest of the way out and began to roll him into the hospital through the large set of automatic doors. Jen and Coach climbed out of the ambulance and followed them in but made an immediate left as they were directed to the waiting room. Mike caught a glimpse as they were ushered by what appeared to be a nurse of some kind. When they brought him back into his room the team of staff lifted him up onto his bed and then rolled him on his side sliding the hard stretcher that he had been taken off the football field on.