Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Home sweet home

Mike sat in his car for a few minutes thinking about what had just happened. I have always hated that damn house. Why the hell he bought is beyond me. Mike remembere3d passing it as he walked to school when he was in elementary school. It gave him the creeps then too. It always made you feel like something was off, it was very unsettling. Mike got his thoughts straight. He grabbed the papers he had tossed on the passenger seat when he got in the car opened his door and stepped out of his car. As he walked towards the front door of his parent’s house he heard a lot of noise coming from it. The heard a great deal of laughing. This struck him as a bit odd. They all knew what the day was you wouldn’t think they would be laughing and carrying on. What the hell is going on here? He got to the front door and opened it up. There sitting on the couch with his mom and dad on either side was Jen and in her lap sat a large photo album.

“What’s going on?” Mike asked nervously. Mike was nervous because his mom was a wannabe photographer. She took photos of ever little moment and lots and lots of embarrassing ones.

All the faces in the room looked to him as he stepped through the door and closed it behind him.

“Nothing honey.” Jen said with a big smile on her face. “Your mom and dad were just showing me some old photos of you.

“I see.” Mike said. “Um… What are you doing here Jen?”

“What kind of question is that Michael?” His mom asked. “She is welcome here whenever she wants.”

“Ok then... What are you doing here?”

“Michael Alan Lachey.” His mother said. “Rude boy.”

“Yeah come sit down Mal.” His father said “I’ll move over to the chair so you can sit by your lovely lady here.”

Mike hesitated but knew he was stuck he couldn’t very well leave now, even if that was what he wanted to do. He walked over and sat his envelopes on the kitchen table then slowly made his way and sat down by Jen. Just as he expected the photo album was open to a page that had a picture of a young Mike playing with a football naked. That one sat next to a picture from the same time frame of him sitting on the football and of course he was naked in that one too.

“So Jennifer how’d you get here?” He asked for the third time.

“Well I mentioned something to Heather about you coming to your parents and she kindly offered to bring me here if I wanted. Just in case you were upset and needed me. I forgot she is from this neighborhood too.”

“Oh… Me too, totally slipped my mind.” Of course it hadn’t really he knew full well that they grew up together but he really didn’t want her here. They had a tendency to embarrass him any chance they could when he had a girl over. Started back when he first started dating they told him that’s what parents are for. He chalked it up to too many dumb movies and TV shows. “That was nice of her to offer to bring you I’ll have to be sure to thank her.” I bet she’s just laughing it up all the way back to school. Mike had dated Heather for short period so she knew exactly what was going to happen.

“Yeah I wasn’t going to but she talked me in to it. She’s a good friend.”

“Yep the best.” Mike said through lightly gritted teeth.

“Your mom and dad are showing me old photos. You were such a cute little kid.” She said with a huge smile. “These are the most adorable photos I have ever seen.”

“Yeah?” Mike said with a smile. “Well I can’t wait to go to your parent’s house and see what photos they have of you.”

Jen smiled and laughed a little. “Well I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed.” She flipped the page of the photo album. “My parents didn’t take many photos themselves around the house. Most of the photos we have of me as a kid are professionally done and I assure you I am not naked in a single one. The most embarrassing thing you’ll see in there is I do believe a picture of me covered in mud that my Aunt Jonnie took when I spent a summer at her house.” Jen turned the page.