The Mastermind X Reader (P2)

"Ay, (Y/N)?" Rebecca slowly patted my shoulder, trying not to startle me, "Are you sure you are okay?"

"Yeah, I guess so..." I mumbled, my voice slurring so often. I could see the lady was not convinced, and to be fair, my condition spoke for me.

I had been unable to rest lately. All thanks to my nightmares. Even if dozing off seemed like a burdensome anomaly in my wretched life. Nightmares invaded me again and again, making me fear the only source of comfort left. I needed sleep, but in a place where the line between the reality and the paranormal blurred, it was hard to ignore something as pervasive as nightmare.

Sometimes, it felt like I hadn't dreamt, instead it felt more like I was living my life simply out of my body. I would wake up in that same damned place, and I would hiding away from him all the time, trying to resist the urge to confront him, or maybe throw a few more punches at his face for daring to mock me.

Wesker's mere presence was something I was dead scared of, but his audacity to mock me after deciding to spare me was something that got on my nerves.

He was as much a genius as he was a jerk, and I was starting to see the little of that man Chris wished to terminate himself.

Rebecca could see how I was affected by that, and I felt guilty for making the her worry. She had the brains to get through most of the obstacles while dealing with her opponents head-on, but her fatal flaw was her sympathy. She got distracted by the pain of others quite easily.

After having failed in repairing the generator twice, I was convinced I was going to be a liability for most of the matches. The third time the gen blew up at my face, I gave up.

"I need to go find something else." I said, my voice seemingly coming out raspy, either from a dried throat or simply pitifully exhausted, fatigued state.

It was making me look like the sullen woman I kind of used to be. I was becoming fidgety, and considerably ill-tempered. Luckily, I was pardoned most of the time.

"What else can you do?" Rebecca asked, nearly pulling me down with such force I were to fall right over her, "You should stick with me or someone else. I'm afraid you can't get too far with anything in this condition."

"Don't worry. I got a few things on me. There are certain things I can do which will still be helpful."

"Like?"

"Totems. Chris often turns a blind eye to them and makes the squad suffer."

"Well, that'd kinda right. Unfortunately." She giggled, giving me a cheerful thumbs up. That was something which made Rebecca quite likeable. She was always optimistic. Half of the time, we would escape only because we had our hopes high, and the credits went to her.

I had found two totems so far, both standing erect and lit. Apparently the unknown killer had decided to bring two hexes, one which was Ruin, the other I could only expect to be Devour Hope.

It had been a considerable amount of time but I had not faced the killer yet. Rebecca finally popped a gen, making me feel a little better, and enthusiastic. I was still ascertain about my conditions and the future of the trial. Instead, I chose to complete the gen myself, seeing that no one had been on the hook so far.

I couldn't help why, but a distinctive voice in the back of my head kept on chanting certain names, hoping that it was either Spirit, or Hillbilly.

I had completed the gen halfway, when a cool breeze of wind swept past me, making my head literally whip around in panic. It was dark, and there was no one indeed. Instead, the hair on the nape stood up, the feeling was all too familiar, and I stopped repairing any further. It could be Tinkerer, but when nothing happened, I got back on the gen, so often looking back.