⁰³ | Flying lesson & Exploring

Chapter 3:

All students gathered around the courtyard, with brooms laying on the grass in front of them. Aiden and Hayden stood next to each other, along with Harry, Hermione and Ron. The two Firehearts were sure they would excel in this class, having learned to fly from their father. "Good afternoon, class." Madam Hooch said as she walked through the rows of students, while she put on her brown leather gloves. "Good afternoon, Madam Hooch." she stood in front of the students, looking at every student until her eyes landed on the Fireheart twins. "well if it isn't the two Firehearts, I taught your father AND you're mother. both excelled in this class, I'm expecting the same from you two." Madam Hooch said with a smile. The twins glanced at each other before smiling brightly. "Welcome to your first flying lesson." Madam Hooch said as she began the official lesson. Every student remained silent as they waited for her to continue.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone steps up to the left side of their broom."

The students obeyed and stood on the left side of their broom, Aiden was so excited to write to his mother about this. Once he did, perhaps she could send over his broom, the broom he got on his eleventh birthday. His dad gave it to him, not personally as he was away again, but he send it by mail. Hayden got one too but he wasn't as excited as Aiden, he never liked flying that much. "Come on now, hurry up. Stick your right hand over the broom and say, up." Madam Hooch instructed and the students did as they were told.

The twins got it on the first try which was to be expected since they've done this before. Harry also got it on the first try, it shocked him that he even got it down so quickly. Hermione and Ron on the other hand didn't get it first try and were struggling with it quite a bit. Eventually, Ron managed to pull it off but not without a little accident, as he said 'up' the broom flew right against his head before tumbling back to the ground once again. Harry and the Twins laughed at the little incident, remembering what happened on the train, his failed attempt at a spell. "Shut up guys," Ron said as he too chuckled a bit. Aiden looked over at Hermione who had finally done it, he gave her a smile, which she returned.

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it." Aiden got more excited by the minute, he hastily mounted his broom and waited for Madam Hooch's next instruction. "Grip it tight, you don't wanna be sliding off the end," she said and took another stroll through the crowd of kids. "When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground. Hard."

"Keep your broom steady. Hover for a moment. Then lean forward slightly and touch back down. " Madam Hooch instructed as she demonstrated to her students.

"On my whistle! Three... two...."
At the sound of her whistle, to much surprise, Neville was the first to fly up.
"Mr Longbottom." Madam Hooch said with some concern.

The boy hovered in the air as the look of confusion and fear grew on his face. Losing control over the broom, he went higher and higher with each shout from the students' trying to get him down.
At this point, even Madam Hooch couldn't really help the boy.

High up in the air, Neville was flung around in every possible direction. The broom would shoot left, then right, and then spin him around. Had he not been clinging to the broom as tightly as he had, he would have fallen ages ago.

After some time, the broom stopped doing crazy manoeuvres and started flying towards a tower. It hit that tower hard three times, almost knocking Neville off, before making a dive and flying right towards the rest of the class.
Madam Hooch quickly took out her wand hoping she could stop him in time. But Neville kept flying faster, causing the group of students to split up to avoid being hit.

He flew right through the courtyard's arch and up once again. As the broom was about to dive, something hooked onto his robes, grabbing him right off the broom.