43

What did he say about it?

Who?

Michael looked at her a little askance.

Bradley. What did he say? Your resignation.

He was surprised, but I think he accepted it.

Michael stood behind her and let his hands slide over her stomach.

I made a reservation for us. Eight o'clock later. Ally is with Lea until the day after tomorrow.

That's very nice.

He started to kiss her neck, but she didn't pay any attention and went on with what she was doing, washing up.

If we don't go there until later, I can lie down for another hour, right? Because I'm really tired.

He took his hands off her and went to the dressing room.

Of course. I have to go to work, too, but I should be back in two hours at the most. I have to sort something out for the business trip tomorrow.

That's fine, you do that.

See you later!

Yes, see you later!

She waved her hand, which was full of foam, and smiled. However, when the door closed, she dropped her head down and the smile disappeared again.
_____________________

What do you want to eat?

She sat on the edge of the table and spread her legs a little.

You.

He turned and and walked toward her.

Do you want me, yes?

Yes. Ah! I'm craving you!

A moan came from her mouth as he pulled her flush against his body by her waist.

She realized how she was being kissed and smiled. When he pulled back, her expression changed a little.

Come on, kiss me!

The moment his hand was on her cheek and he kissed her again, she suddenly woke up. It was definitely not the face she had expected.

Michael.

Hmmm.

He leaned further over her and squeezed her hand, making her cry out.

Ouch!

Sorry.

He kept kissing her even though she pulled back.

Please. Stop it.

She sat up, but he was still glued to her like a fly.

Stop!

Finally he backed away from her.

How dare you!?

What is it?

She looked at him, startled, and slid back a little further on the sofa. Her hand automatically pulled her shirt back down as her chest rose and fell frantically.

Am I not allowed to kiss my wife?

Yes, but please not when I'm asleep, almost out of breath and you're hurting me!

He rolled his eyes and got up from the sofa.

Will you get ready then? We have to leave right away.

Yes. We need to stop by the office for a minute, please, because I still have to get my things.

Fine by me.

Their ride together to the office was silent and no one said a word. She quickly got out and went to her office to get her things and then said a quick goodbye to Miss Taylor.

I'll see you.

Yes, I hope so! Really sorry to see you go!

Stefani hugged her goodbye and then went back down to Michael. She didn't know she had been watched, by Bradley. He had watched her reluctantly pack her things and say goodbye to a few people.

Did eh, did Miss Germanotta say where she was going?

She was just going to pick up a few things and then go to Blue Blue, for dinner.

Thank you very much.

He nodded to the woman at the counter and went back to his office.
Meanwhile, Stefani and Michael arrived at the restaurant. A nice young woman led them to their table. It was right at the front of the dance floor, so easily visible to everyone. They sat down and ordered something. Just as the dance floor was opened and tango music was playing from the big speakers, two people came to their table. A woman with long brown hair, wearing a red dress and .... Bradley.
He smiled at Michael and handed Stefani an envelope.

Here, you forgot this!

What's this?

She opened the envelope and saw that it was a bill. By quitting on such short notice and not paying attention, she had to pay a sum equal to three months' salary.

A contract is a contract.

He hunched his shoulders and danced on.

Have a nice evening!

Anger rose in Stefani, and she would have liked to punch him. The evening was officially ruined.
_________________

A short time later, she and Michael were back home.

What a bastard! What an arrogant asshole! If Sarah knew about it!

But she doesn't.

Yes, I know! How are we supposed to pay for it now? Now that my salary is gone, we have so little anyway.

Hey, I'll talk to the bank tomorrow. We'll work it out.

She looked at him. Earlier there might have been some doubts in her whether she did the right thing, but after this action of Bradley these doubts disappeared more and more.

We have to pay him. He's right, a contract is a contract.

I know! Damn it.

We'll get the money from the bank, I'm pretty sure, and then you'll finally be free! They may not give me a loan, but they'll give you one, and then this thing is done.

The money means nothing to him. He just wants to demonstrate how powerful he is, what he can do and how much money he has. For him, this sum is like a bread crumb, for us it is like a second house. He knows very well that we would have problems with it.

I know, yet I don't want to owe him anything and if that means you finally get off this ass, then I don't care either. 

Yes.
_________________

The next day she had somehow managed to convince the man at the bank to give her a loan. She came back home and just caught Michael frantically trying to take off his shirt.

What are you doing?

I just got a stain on my shirt and I have to go. My flight's about to leave. How'd it go at the bank?

Fine, I got the loan.

Hey, you're finally free!

She nodded and watched him get ready.

I have to go. Bye!

Have a good flight!

Then the front door slammed shut and he was gone. No more "I love you," no more "Take care of you," not even a kiss or anything. Her thoughts were spinning. How had it come about that they had grown so apart?