35

Hi Sarah!

The two women hugged each other warmly.

How's the chronicle coming along?

Almost finished.

Stefani smiled proudly and held the folder out to her. Sarah's eyes got big and she was impressed how fast Stefani was working. Together they sat in the big living room and went through the text. A few hours passed and it was getting darker outside.

I can't believe how fast you got it all done!

Stefani smiled sweetly at her.

If I'm honest, Michael and Ally helped me with the research.

That's amazing!

Sarah flipped through some more pages and read through a few articles.

So I'm ready for a break, as it looks-

Just then, Sarah's cell phone rang. She quickly excused herself and answered the phone. A few minutes later, she came back into the room.

I'm sorry, Stefi. They mixed up some contracts at the company and now a major customer is threatening to drop out. I have to get there fast. If you have time, you're welcome to wait here. Please don't be shy about talking to the butler. He should be downstairs in the kitchen.

No worries. I'll wait here. It's not that late. Thank you. Good luck!

Hmm, thanks. Let's see what Miss Taylor has to say in her defense.

With those last words, she was gone. Stefani looked at her cell phone. It was just 5 o'clock in the afternoon, so even quite early. She quickly texted Michael that she would probably be a little longer. After no reply from Michael, she decided to go to the kitchen.

Hello Miss Germanotta, nice to see you again!

Hello, the pleasure is all mine!

Can I do something good for you? Any wish?

Stefani smiled at the man in front of her.

Would you have a water for me?

But of course!

The butler fetched a tray with water and a glass, then placed it on the table in front of her and smiled at her. He then went back into the next room and went about his other duties. While Stefani took a sip, she watched the young man ironing a scarf. The scarf that somehow looked familiar to her. She squinted her eyes for a few minutes, trying to remember where she had seen it before.
Then suddenly, enlightenment hit her like a bolt of lightning.

What is this?

The butler was confused at the question, not knowing at first what she meant. He pointed to the piece of cloth in front of him and she nodded.

A scarf from the dressing room of Mister Bradley Cooper.

Stefani snorted. This man made her sick and it was clearly no better to be reminded that he was an earl.

Does he have any more of these?

Not that I know of.

What an asshole!

The butler looked at her in shock.

Pardon me?

Stefani put a hand over her mouth and looked a little embarrassed.

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud. You allow-?

She took the scarf from his hands and trudged up the stairs. By now she knew where he had his room and had no inhibitions about just ripping open the door to his suite.
Bradley winced in shock. He had expected anything but her, and certainly not in his apartment.

Oh, Stef. What are you doing here? You missed me?

Full of rage, she threw the scarf in his face, just barely catching it. The next thing was her bag, which she threw with all her might onto the black leather chair standing next to him.

Bastard! What did you pay the poor person to join in your cynical theatrical games?

Bradley smelled provocatively at the now freshly laundered scarf.

You mean the hobo?

Yeah, the homeless guy.

If looks could kill, he'd have been in his grave by now, shooting daggers with her eyes.

The homeless guy you ran into this morning right in front of me by accident and you acted like the angel of the poor!

Hmm, what did I pay him?

He went to his minibar and poured himself a glass of whiskey.

Two hundred, three hundred dollars maybe?

Stefani crossed her arms in front of her chest and was more than indignant.

You even admit it?

Bradley smiled and took the glass in his hand.

Obviously, I'm already busted anyway. Denial would be futile, it would be especially undignified to deny it now.

Just as he was about to take a sip of his whiskey, she retorted something.

Why? Why did you do that?

Instead of drinking, he took a few steps towards her again and came to a stop just in front of her.

You know exactly why!

Well, I think this plan failed!

The wrinkle on her forehead disappeared and her expression became more smug.

Now there seemed to be only one hope left.

She stared into his eyes.

What's that?

He took another step closer to her and looked at her lips.

To hope that you're one of those girls who go for the bad boys.

His voice was like a whisper. Stefani felt her heart start to beat faster, excitement shooting through her body and nervousness starting to take control.

So let's be honest, this whole action was completely embarrassing, tasteless and inappropriate!

With all her might, she tried to fight her inner restlessness. Shaking slightly, she rummaged in her pocket for an envelope, hoping Bradley wouldn't see what effect it had on her. In the meantime he was busy filling a second glass with whisky.

I just couldn't help it.

He tried to make a pitying face and looked at her.

You are my boss and I expect professionalism from you, not this childish circus!

While talking, she put the envelope on the chair next to her.

Your travel documents.

Instead of saying anything he was silent and just kept looking at her. He took a few steps towards her and suddenly held out a glass.

You're right, and we should toast to that.

His eyes darted to the black chair, conveying that she should sit down, but she remained standing. Bradley smiled at her determination and raised an eyebrow.

I'm about to get off work!

With his hand, he pointed to the chair and pulled up his shoulder slightly, as if to say "that doesn't stop you".

And this is the time I spend with my husband and Ally!

The smile on his face disappeared. At that moment, Stefani looked at him as if to read his reaction. She pointed again at the documents, took her bag and went to the door. Just before she reached the door she stopped and turned to him again. He was still standing in the same place, holding the glasses, however his smile was back. He had a plan.