21

She looked at her little girl again and then at her husband. Michael just raised an eyebrow.

Yeah, eh why not.

Ally was pleased and Bradley winked at her.

Here, your folder.

Sarah pressed the binder back into his hands.

Now if you'll excuse us?

I'll be on my way. Oh-

He turned around again.

Stefani, about the chronicle, we have an appointment with an art critic tomorrow.

He looked at her and smiled, but she didn't answer.

I was expecting an answer like "Yes Bradley, it's ok"?

Yes.

See you then, bye Ally! Enjoy your meal!

Bye Bye!

The little girl was the only one who said anything when he left the room. By now, all eyes were on Stefani.

Since when do you call each other by your first names?

She looked at her husband. He had this slightly aggressive look, bubbling with jealousy.

He offered it to me, I couldn't refuse.

With a shaky hand, she raised her glass and took a sip. At least when her mouth was full she couldn't talk.

____________

Ah there is no better start to the day than the sight of a beautiful woman!

He came towards her. His hands were clasped behind his back and he smiled at her.

Did you hear that? That was a compliment!

She turned and looked at Miss Taylor, who just nodded. The other woman was about to leave the room, Stefani's smile widened when she saw his puzzled expression.

Yes, it was for my personal assistant!

Her face became serious and before she spoke, she took a deep breath.

Thank you, I'll be happy to pass on that compliment!

He sighed.

There were situations when the lines of communication between us were not so strange.

She put on that smile again, the smile she always had when she wanted to provoke him.

This is for you, Mister Cooper!

She held out a letter to him. He took it, but she didn't let go, pulling him a little closer.

What happened in the attic will not happen again! Oh, and you can save your pathetic attempts at flirting, too! Just that you got me right!

As if frozen, she left him standing there and went behind her desk. His brain needed a few seconds to realize what had just happened.

Hm, funny - I thought we were at Bradley and Stefani?

She tried to act horrified.

Oh no, I think I forgot about that!

He looked at her, couldn't take his eyes off her as she sat down. When she noticed how his blue eyes were staring at her she tried to avoid his look. He noticed that and focused on the letter in his hand.

Well, Parker had been more original in choosing his guests the years ago. What is this?

She didn't really listen to him, but looked through the rest of the letters.

Nobel Prize winners used to speak there, nowadays I have to settle for lectures on topics like equal rights.

He looked into the void and crumpled up the note.

Why, who's giving the lecture?

Alice Stein.

I've read her book. Her views on male-dominated leadership are revolutionary!

Just before he opened his office door, he turned to her.

Well, I'd be surprised! The only interesting thing about this woman is her company! Co-working Space, I've been trying to get into this business for months, very good profit rate.

Yes, but then the event is a perfect opportunity to meet her.

Stefani stood up and walked past him. Secretly she took advantage of him looking at her like that. She felt very desired by the look he gave her.

However, BRADLEY , you should leave the patriot wannabe at home. Guys like that are this woman's breakfast!

He was taken with her strength and that confidence. Even when she had long since left, he was still standing in the same spot watching her make the appointment with the art critic.

_________________

After the meeting, she was off work. It was one of the shorter days and she was glad about that. When she arrived home she was immediately greeted by her little girl.

Hey my darling! I'm home again!

Instead of getting a hello, she only heard an exhausting sigh from the living room.

What's the-

She walked into the living room with Ally in her arms and saw Michael screwing around with his buddy on the TV.

Hey.

Hi Stefani!

Hi Steve, what are you guys doing please?

The TV stopped working and there's a game on later!

She put Ally down, who ran into her room to play.

I brought lunch if you're hungry? Have you tried the electrician? Didn't I write down the number of the electrician from the company the other day?

Yes, he was already there. I think he just made the problem much bigger! 

The men were still trying to fix the television until they sat down at the table, exhausted, and ate some sandwiches.

How is your wife?

Good, she's incredibly excited about the wedding. She's so excited, but it's still 5 months to go.

Michael laughed and Stefani also had a smile on her face.

It's nice when she is excited. Let's hope it lasts forever!

At that moment, Stefani's expression became serious and her smile disappeared. She had to think about the kiss again. Suddenly she felt warm and nervous.

I think I have to go then, though. It was nice to meet you! Oh and thanks for the delicious rolls, I must remember!

Always gladly again. Thanks for helping me out!

Always, bro! Take care, bye Ally!

Bye!

When Steve was gone, Stefani cleaned the table and put away the dishwasher. Michael helped her and brought her plates.

Wow, now Steve is already talking about his wedding in 6 months. It seems like just yesterday that he got engaged.

Yeah, it's really crazy how fast time flies.

It was quiet for a moment. For a brief moment he looked at her.

I didn't think we'd ever be able to sit around a table and chat so peacefully with friends again after what happened with you and Bradley.

She looked down, ashamed, and put them plates away.

I'm sorry, it was just- I know the story between you and Bradley is over.

He kissed me!