47

She put Ally to bed and went to the bathroom. She needed air. She wanted to breathe, that what she couldn't in the last weeks, almost months. Fear gnawed at her and plagued her thoughts constantly. Fear of being alone, of losing everything. Fear of her feelings. The once so holy and happy world was collapsing more and more. The time in which she was happy had long since expired. Her feelings were going crazy, spinning like a windmill in a tornado. Inwardly, she had long since resigned herself to the fact that he would never come back, at least not as the man she had once married. Instead, the missing Bradley was back in her life. Not only had he turned everything upside down, but he cared about her.
He had this love of the little details, was attentive and uncharacteristically knew her very well. His character was cold and icky to most people, but he had a good heart. Behind the hard shell was a soft core, there was a light there just waiting to be seen to really ignite.
She splashed some water on her face with her palms and dried herself off. She took off her sweater to put on more comfortable clothes. As she tossed her sweater into the hamper, she spotted one of Michael's white shirts. She took it out to put it with the other white laundry. A stuttering sigh escaped her when she saw the red stain on his shirt collar.

Oh my god-.

Although she had long sensed it, even known it, the realization hit her hard. The love between them was long gone, if it had ever really been there at all. So many emotions ran through her head. She wondered what had even been real, feeling icky and used. Pictures were painted in her mind that she never wanted to have. He had kissed and touched her, even "loved" her while he was with someone else. The thought that this was probably reality made her sick. Her sadness developed into anger and she hurled the shirt against the wall. Her marriage was a pure lie. Her mind began to realize more and more that it had always been an illusion. He had never loved her with all his heart and if she was honest with herself, neither had she.
There was a knock at the door.

What the-

She tried to wipe away her tears as best she could and wondered who else would be knocking on her door late that evening, it certainly wasn't Michael.
When she opened the door, she couldn't get the words out for a moment.

Hey ehm, please don't think wrong of me now! I didn't want to use the doorbell because Ally - you forgot your bag. You're not in the bureau anymore, so I couldn't have brought it to you and I didn't know if it was important so-

She was still looking at him wordlessly. A bit surprised at the thoughtful gesture from him. He always was, thoughtful. At their first meeting he had already shown her that he was not only the tough guy, but could also be different. He didn't let on, but as soon as he felt comfortable, he softened and the arrogant asshole disappeared.

Here.

He held the bag out to her and looked into her green glowing eyes.

Thank you.

What's wrong? Why were you crying?

He put his hand back down as she still just stood there, fighting tears. Uncertainly, he took a step toward her and searched her eyes for approval, which he got. Immediately he wrapped his arms around her and pressed her against him. He couldn't deny that this was exactly what he wanted all along. He breathed in her scent and thought about the reason why she was probably crying. Now Stefani would have lost completely and gave up fighting against all the tears. She sobbed against his body and held on to him. Carefully he went with her into the living room and closed the front door.

Can I- can I do anything for you?

He was uncertain. Never in his life had he felt as he did at that moment. A sickening feeling formed in the pit of his stomach at the sight of her crying. At that moment, he would have done anything to see her happy again.

Just hold me, please!

And he did. Apparently he had missed the moment when she had shed any doubts and reluctance towards him, but he didn't care. Although this change of heart was sudden and unexpected, he accepted it because that was also what he wanted.
After 10 minutes had passed and her gasps from crying had subsided, he put his hand around her face and made her look at him.

I told you before, if you want to talk about something, you can tell me. I'm not good with words, but I like to listen to you.

Gently, his fingers grasped her hand and they intertwined almost automatically.
With his other hand, he drew soothing circles over her back.

I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me myself, I don't usually let myself go like this.

Bradley smirked a little, those were the exact words he had said to her when they were together in the attic.

Please don't apologize for everything. You didn't do anything wrong!

She still clutched him, but her grip loosened a bit and the crying slowly stopped.

I messed up your shirt again.

It's just a shirt.

There was silence between them for a moment.

You should get some sleep. It's late and apparently you haven't had a good day.

Give me five more minutes.

A swarm of butterflies fluttered in his stomach and he nodded.

For once!

After the said 5 minutes, she pulled away from him. Her eyes were red and smeared with the remaining mascara.

Stefani?

Her nose was closed, but she emitted a soft Hmm in confirmation.

It- I'm sorry.

He wanted to say so much more, get so many words off his chest, but he couldn't. He couldn't manage to jump over his own shadow and have the courage.

======

I'm really living for your comments. 😋 I appreciate that you enjoy this story and I think you will like the way this is going now. Have fun.