53

One week later

"Exams are finally over!" El said happily as she joined Mike, Will, Lucas, and Dustin outside.

"I know! I'm so relieved." Dustin responded. Lucas put his hand on his hips as he looked at the sky.

"Summer is finally upon us, my friends." Lucas said.

"And thank God it is." Mike replied. They all laughed a bit as the door to the high school opened, Darren emerging from it.

"God, I hate math." He said as he walked up to the group.

"You and me both." El responded. Everyone laughed a bit as they all began walking.

"Pizza to celebrate?" Dustin asked as he moved to be in front of the group so he could face them. Everyone nodded.

"Sounds like a plan." Will replied. "I'm so glad school is technically over."

"Same, if we were at my old school, we wouldn't even be starting exams until three weeks from now." Darren responded.

"Three weeks?" Lucas asked as he put an arm around Darren.

"Jeez, your old school sounded awful." Mike added.

"It was." Darren responded. They suddenly saw Max skate by, headphones on her neck. They watched her for a few seconds before Dustin sighed.

"Max!" He yelled loud enough so she could hear. This startled her, sending her hurling backward toward the ground as her skateboard rolled out from under her. Everyone gasped before El quickly went up to her.

"Nice going, Dustin." Lucas responded. Dustin sighed before they all started walking over to her.

"Are you okay?" El asked as she kneeled beside Max, who was sitting up now and looking at El.

"Yeah... Jesus." She replied. El sighed.

"Sorry about that." El said.

"It's okay." Max responded with a light smile. El smiled back as the others came up behind them.

"Holy shit. I am so sorry Max." Dustin said suddenly.

"Trying to rack up a body count, Dustin?" Max asked as El helped her up.

"He was trying to invite you out to pizza with us." Lucas replied.

"Yeah, but only if you wanna come." Will added as Dustin nodded.

"It's on me." Dustin said. Max looked at El before sighing.

"Sure, why not?" She responded, picking up her skateboard and beginning to walk with the group. They walked to the pizza place, placing an order of two pepperoni pizzas (which was Dustin's favorite, but no one seemed to care) before sitting down.

"So, how did you do on your exams?" Mike asked Max. She shrugged.

"Okay probably.. geometry beat my ass." Max replied. Everyone laughed a bit.

"For me it was history." Mike responded. "I had trouble with the spelling when me and Will were studying."

"Same here." Dustin said. Suddenly someone familiar came up to the table.

"Okay.. two pepper- Shit." Steve responded as he walked up to the table.

"Steve?" Will asked.

"You work here?" Lucas added. Steve sighed.

"Yeah.." He mumbled, "Jesus.. you kids are everywhere."

"Does Robin also work here?" Dustin asked. Steve sighed.