Chapter 4 - Part 1

The next morning at breakfast, I was on my own. Maria, Angel's housekeeper, dotted all over me. She had missed me and was determined to go show it by giving me the biggest selection of breakfast treats to choose from. She had prepared enough food to feed an army, but Angel had been a no show. I barely made a dent.

I hadn't been able to sleep much. Angel had affected me more than the Vincents. He had a way of getting under my skin like no one else could.

But I couldn't avoid Angel as I was hoping he had figured out a way to save me from being handed over like an object to a bunch of gangsters who only knew cruelty. The brief thought gave me a shiver down my spine, and that was enough for me to push back my chair to go in search of him.

I hadn't seen him since the night before and I was nervous to see if he was still angry with me. I blew out the breath I had been holding as I neared his study. Outside the door, I stood for a moment, gathering courage before I knocked.

"Come in." He was in his study.

Tentatively, I opened the door and peered inside, trying to gauge his features to see if I needed to keep my distance.

He had his back to me, so I entered the room, giving him space like you would a wild animal. He wore a crisp white shirt and dark trousers. I allowed myself to take in his powerful stance. I swallowed nervously.

He turned. It was difficult to read his expression.

"Are you able to keep the Vincents away from me?" I blurted out. It had been playing on my mind all night long. I hoped he had figured it out because I couldn't contemplate a situation where there wasn't a solution.

"I have. It's the only option we have."

That sounded so grave and final. His tone made me slightly more anxious.

"Surely it can't be that bad." I swallowed.

"It is what it is."

He was annoying. He talked in a way that gave little away.

"How about you share your idea and we decide from there?"

It couldn't be worse than being handed over to some thugs.

He studied me for a few moments. "Perhaps you should take a seat."

"Why do you always do that?" I said, feeling annoyed. "Why are you always telling me to sit down?" He always had this was of treating me like I was some child that needed to be told what to do all the time. I wished he would see me for the grown woman I had become.

He was making me angrier by the second.

"You're going to marry me."

At first I thought I had misheard him. "Did you say marry?" I spluttered.

When I realized I had heard him correctly, I laughed. "You can't be serious." I held my sides as I laughed even harder. It was the funniest thing he had ever said. I wiped the tears from my face.

It was his expression that made me falter. He wasn't smiling. In fact, he was scowling at me.

"You're not joking, are you?" I murmured, not sure I wanted anything to do with his only way out of our predicament now.

He shook his head.

I found the closest chair and sank down into it as I realized what that meant. Marry him. It felt so unreal, like I was waiting for someone to jump out and say "Gotcha". I could stop my mind from wondering to thoughts of what married couples did, and I swallowed.

"No." I whispered. "There is no way."

"Suit yourself. I'm not the one who needs saving," he said as he walked matter factly back to his desk and took a seat.