Chapter 18 - Part 1

"No." Angel's voice was hard and unyielding.

I crossed my arms to glare at him. "I don't need your permission."

"Look what happened the last time. He kidnapped you from a graveyard Kira." He shook his head.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes, it was over the top but he at least deserves to hear about my wedding from me and not from someone else."

"He probably already knows," Angel muttered under his breath.

"If he had he would have called me already," I argued. I knew my brother.

When Angel remained tightlipped I sighed. "Don't make this hard. I've already called him up and setup a meeting."

"I don't like this one bit Kira." His features tense.

I touched his face and his features eased. "I won't be long and I'll take Jack."

"That doesn't make me feel any better." He added dryly.

"Come on," I urged him. "Don't ruin my good mood."

He studied me and then half smiled. "I'll just have to work on putting a smile back on your face tonight."

Memories of the night before heated my cheeks.

"I'll see you later," I said, putting a brief kiss to his mouth. But before I could move away he pulled me closer putting his arms around me and kissing me so thoroughly, I struggled to stand when he released me.

"If Kaiden tries anything like he did the last time tell him I will make him regret it." The threat was serious.

I put a hand to his chest. "Don't worry. He won't. He only did that to talk me out of a marriage I'm already in."

We had so easily slipped into some sort of martial role playing. It had only been a day and I was still trying to pull myself back from feeling so much for him, it was a bit overwhelming. And having some distance from him would do me some good and give me space to breathe and work my way through my sudden realization that I loved a man who couldn't love me back.

I gave Jack the address to Kaiden's apartment. An apartment I had never been to.

I was nervous to how my brother would react to my news. My gaze moved to the rings in my fingers. The sight fluttered my heart and I took a deep breath. I held the breath for a few seconds before expelling it.

I had it bad for Angel and I didn't feel like I was doing a great job at handling it.

When we pulled up outside the apartment block. Jack followed me up the apartment.

I knocked and moments later my brother answered the door. He wasn't in his usual suit, instead he was casually dressed in jeans and a shirt. It made him look younger and less formidable. I didn't miss the look shared between my brother and my bodyguard. There was still tension stemming from the last time they had seen each other when Kaiden had kidnapped me.

Jack remained outside as my brother ushered me in.

"I'm surprised you're still talking to me," he said as I turned to face him once we got into his living room.

His apartment was super clean and organized.

"You're lucky I'm so forgiving," I countered.

"I'm glad you're here. I have something to show you."

My curiosity was peaked.

"This is going to be a bit of a surprise and I need you to keep your cool."