Chapter 7 - Part 2

The next day I approached James as he was leaving Angel's study.

"Hi James," I said nervously, unsure of how to approach him. It wasn't like I hadn't grown up with him around but I found he wasn't the most approachable person.

He had the greenest eyes I had ever seen but they were like crystals sharp and cool. His black hair was always neatly cut and he always wore the same color suit. He was a creature of habit.

He was one of the few men that worked for Angel that was calculated and cold, frighteningly so. He was never emotional and the type of guy you wanted on your side in stressful situation. Even last night while everyone was under stress he had performed like a surgeon, clinically. The only other occupations I could have seen him thrive in would have been as a surgeon or hit man. I could see why Angel depended on him so much. And he was trustworthy. Like Angel and I, he had grown up in the family as well. His father had worked for Angel's father. His loyalty Angel was without question.

"Kira," he greeted me, his eyes lifting momentarily from the document he held.

"I need a favor James." I wasn't sure if he would help me but out of the all the people I knew he had the skills I was looking for.

"What type of favor?" he asked, he closed the paper and held it in his right hand.

"I need someone to teach me how to handle a gun. And I need some basic skills on how to defend myself." This was all part of my plan to make myself stronger for the life I had been handed.

He studied me. "I'm not sure Angel would be okay with that."

Usually, I would have told him I didn't care but I didn't believe that would help persuade him. He admired Angel, anyone who saw them together could see that. They had grown up together, they had been friends and now they worked together.

My brother had been close to both of them but when he had gone into law enforcement, any friendships had even severed.

"I need to be stronger James. How long do you think I'll last if I don't find a way to adapt? While you're trying to save a man's life I stood clutching the wall trying not faint. I was no help to anyone, in fact I was a distraction you guys could have done without."

He studied me. He couldn't disagree with me.

"You know I'm right," I pleaded with him, hoping I had said enough to sway him.

"I have a busy schedule Kira," he said, and I felt like he was about to turn me down.

"I'll do whatever you need me to. I'll get up earlier if that works for you. Please James." I reached out and touched his arm. "I feel like if I don't get this right I won't survive."

He frowned looking down to where I was touching him and I immediately withdrew my hand.

"Is it so bad that I'm trying to make myself more useful. What if something happens and I could have done something but I couldn't because I don't know how to handle a gun. We live in a dangerous time James. I need to know how to protect myself. I can't just run and hide when something happens."

"Four o'clock," he stated.

"Four o'clock?" I questioned, unsure of what it meant by that.

"You meet me by the front door at four in the morning and I'll teach you."

I have never woken up early in my life before but I was prepared to do anything to learn what I needed to. I felt relieved I had managed to talk him around. "Thank you James."

"This isn't going to be easy so you might want to hold off the thanks." With that he walked away.

I felt some sense of satisfaction that I was to learn some value that would help me show my husband to be I was more capable than he thought.