Chapter 26 - Part 2

"There you are," I said as I entered Angel's study, later the next morning.

He smiled and rose to meet me just as I stepped into the room. The sight of him took my breath away. He had never looked more handsome now that I knew how he felt about me.

"You were sleeping so soundly I didn't want to wake you," he pressed a kiss to my lips. "How are you feeling?"

The brief kiss was no where near enough but it had to do for the moment. There would be time later.

"I'm okay." The events of the day before had been hectic and I was still trying to process what had happened.

"Trent is on the mend, a few stitches and some bed rest and he'll be as good as new."

"That's good news."

I needed that.

"Mr. Vincent called. He wants to come by to discuss the handover and put some measures in place."

I wasn't sure I was ready for any of this, at twenty one I didn't have the experience to run an empire.

"What's wrong?" Angel asked softly, studying my features.

I shrugged. "It's overwhelming. I have no idea how to do any of this."

"I do and I will be with you every step of the way."

Releasing the tight breath I held held his hands a bit harder. "I put us all in danger. Running off with my brother without confronting you directly. It was me who created the mess we were stuck in yesterday." I hated to recall the feeling of being in a situation where we had believed the only outcome was death.

You didn't come away from situations like that unscathed. I was scarred and unsure if I could trust my judgment again.

"We all had a hand in what happened. If I had been more honest with you, instead of trying to shield you from everything it wouldn't have happened. If you brother had chosen a less remote place, it might have not happened. And this list goes on..."

"Point taken. What time is my father coming over?" I asked, feeling like I needed to prepare myself in some way beforehand.

"This afternoon. You brother is on his way. He says he needs to speak to you."

I frowned. "Anything wrong?"

"He didn't say."

I didn't think I was strong enough to deal with any other stuff and I hoped whatever my brother had to talk to me about wasn't as bad as my imagination was conjuring up.

"Where's James?"

"He is at the shooting range."

I frowned. "Really?"

He nodded. "It's his way of getting rid of all the pent up energy from yesterday."

"I need to speak to him."

He had been an integral part of why I was still alive today and I wanted to thank him for it.

"I'll handle your brother if you're not back in time."

I nodded. "I won't be long."

James was solely focussed at what he was doing and didn't even look in my direction when I entered the shooting range. He was reloading the gun.

I cleared my throat and he stopped to give me a side glance. "Can I help you Kira?"

"I wanted to talk to you." He still had a way of making me nervous with his direct gaze.

"About?"

"Yesterday."

He finished with the gun and laid to on the table. "I'm listening."