Chapter 23 - Part 1

I tried to keep myself busy so I wouldn't allow my mind to drift to thoughts of Angel and his possible deception. But I reminded myself that Kaiden had no proof.

And that was that.

There had been no sign of Angel, he had been closed up in his study with James. I wanted to be a fly on that wall.

I needed some help moving some boxes so I went downstairs and asked Jack to help me.

"Sure thing," he said and followed me up the bedroom where the boxes from my room had been kept.

I had packed my mother's journals away earlier, deciding I wasn't ready for any more surprises. Finding the man who I had believed to be my father wasn't my father and then discovering a man who I had considered an enemy was my biological father, was my limit. Maybe on day I would be able to read them, but as of right now I couldn't. There was a chance I might never have a courage to read through all of her thoughts knowing there would be no happy ending for her.

"I wanted to move these boxes back into the wardrobe until I'm ready to unpack them," I said, feeling like I had started something and not finished.

"They are pretty heavy," he said, picking one up. "I helped Mr. Knox move them. It's a good thing you called me to help. You definitely would have hurt yourself if you had tried to move these on your own."

He talked merrily as he moved one box after the other.

I nodded.

"Mr. Knox asked me to repack them when he was done going through them."

I stopped. Angel had gone through the boxes, he had never mentioned that

"Really?" I asked, feeling intrigued and nervous. "All of the boxes?"

He nodded, carrying the next box into the wardrobe before he returned to pick up another.

"I think he was looking for those," he looked in the direction of the box that held my mother's journals. On the outside of the box had been labelled journals.

One thought slid into another, like clogs in a whole network of thoughts. Why had Angel been interested in my mother's journals? Then I stopped.

It couldn't be true. No, it wasn't possible.

If he had gone through my mother's journals he would have found the same entries I had read through after discovering my biological father was Andrew Vincent.

"Did Mr. Knox mention what he had been looking for?" I asked, trying to keep my voice light for fear he would clam up and I would not get all the information I was looking for.

"I think he was looking for a clue to find your father," he murmured, carrying the next box into the wardrobe.

I was stunned. Jack moved the remaining boxes and left.

I sank into the closest chair. My mind processing what I had just learned.

It wasn't a coincidence, there was no way. Angel knew. My heart fell, it meant Kaiden was right. And that meant Angel had married me for revenge. There was no time to think of the ramifications of that, I had to tell Kaiden.

I hurried to the bedroom to get the phone he had hid in my bag. I eyed out the bathroom but then decided to go out into the grounds where no one would be able to hear what I had to tell him.

It was too important.

Trying to act as normal as possible I shoved the phone into my pocket and headed downstairs.

I made it out into the garden without being spotted and I went to the most remote place I knew to call my brother. It also ended up being the place I had married Angel. The pond.