Arc 2 Chapter 20: The Old Hunger

I: The Bunker

You step through the freshly smoldering  doorway, rusted sword in hand. The cheapness and age of the blade's grip was a far cry from the delicate craftmanship of your Odachi. You doubt the blade could handle more than a few smacks against a human body before snapping from the decades of rust. 

A red glow from the trails of Life Fibers growing along the concrete and stone walls illuminates every square inch of the World War Two era bunker. The claustrophobic corridor you find yourself in carries an oppressive and smothering air about it, like every breath you take risks total lung failure. 

Mako points to a rotting wooden door down the hall. 

Mako: Through there is where I found this grenade shooter thingy. There's lots of old timey weapons and stuff in there. 

You: Good looking out. Lets check it out. 

Your feet alternate between stepping on wet stone and spongy Life Fibers as you approach the door. Upon stepping through, you're met with a treasure trove of weapons, explosives, illegible documents, and torn up soldiers uniforms. You're relieved to not see any bodies. 

The weapons, either hung on racks or sitting on tables, were in terrible condition. The guns were covered in rust and water logged. The explosives were wet and scattered. And the swords weren't in any better shape than yours. 

Mako skips over to the scattered uniforms while you inspect the weapons. 

Mako: Pants. Shirts. Undies. Shoes. Hats. There are entire uniforms on the ground. Guess the old dead guys got a little hot down here! 

You: I don't doubt that... but think about what we saw out in the cave. 

Mako: The zombies?!

You: No- Actually, yes. The "zombies". There were bodies all along the cave, encased in the Life- uh, the odd red stuff-

Unknown Voice: -the Old Hunger-

The voice in your head interrupted you. You ignore it.

You: This stuff seems to be feeding off the corpses of the soldiers that were down here. I don't know what happened to them exactly, but from what I can tell, they were trying to lock something in here. The growth seems to get denser the further we go. I think the dead men outside the bunker were trying to seal it inside. And the men that were still in here...

You look at the scattered clothing. 

You: Were likely consumed. Bones and all. 

Mako: Woah, scary...

You take a closer look at a rifle covered in Life Fibers. It's wooden butt stock was being eaten by the fibers. The splinters of drenched wood showcased the visible border between Life Fibers and gun stock. Then you peer at some of the swords closest to a pulsating mass of fibers. The sword blade's were completely replaced by Life Fibers. 

They weren't consuming them...

You: They're replicating them! We need to find a way out of here. There has to be another way out. Bunkers like this always had hidden exits or ventilation ports. Hell, Honnouji Academy has over ten emergency evacuation tunnels. 

Taking one final look around the room, you come to the conclusion that there's nothing of use in the weapon stash. Only terrible truth. 

You: Come on, this place could be larger than we expect. Best we keep moving. 

Right as you and Mako pass through the wooden door again, your partner steps in a slick spot on the cracked stone floor. She panics and reaches for the nearest thing her hands could grasp. Unfortunately for her, that nearest thing was the rusted blade in your hand. Her fingers slip along the sharp edge, slicing them on the surface of her fingertips.